[Ontbirds] Hamilton Naturalists Club Birding Report - Thursday, November 3rd, 2005

Cheryl Edgecombe cheryle29 at cogeco.ca
Thu Nov 3 22:51:47 EST 2005

On Thursday, November 3rd, 2005, this is the HNC Birding Report:

CACKLING GOOSE
BARRED OWL

Red-throated Loon
Pied-billed Grebe
Horned Grebe
Snow Goose
American Wigeon
Northern Pintail
Redhead
Greater Scaup
Surf Scoter
White-winged Scoter
Black Scoter
Bufflehead
Common Goldeneye
Red-breasted Merganser
Ruddy Duck
Bald Eagle
Broad-winged Hawk
Northern Goshawk
Merlin
Bonaparte's Gull
Common Tern
Belted Kingfisher
Eastern Phoebe
Blue-headed Vireo
Winter Wren
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Eastern Bluebird
Hermit Thrush
Cedar Waxwing
American Tree Sparrow
Chipping Sparrow
Fox Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Snow Bunting
Rusty Blackbird
Purple Finch

Short and sweet for a change as we round up a very quiet week in the HSA.
The number of migrants are decreasing as we move into November.  Nonetheless
these southwest winds may bring in some wayward cave swallows or herons this
week so lets not let our guard down.

This week one of  significant sightings for the Hamilton area was
unfortunately a bird which met its demise.  A BARRED OWL was found on the
beach at Rattray Marsh in Mississauga last Saturday. This is a bird which is
hard to find in this area.  However, another good sighting at Rattray was a
CACKLING GOOSE and Blue-headed Vireo.

The lake is still this week as I expect it will be for the next few months.
Birds seen down at L.P. Sayers Park include Horned Grebe, many Long-tailed
Ducks, all three Scoter Species, American Wigeon, Redhead, Bufflehead,
Common Goldeneye and Red-breasted Merganser.  Both species of Scaup can also
been seen in great numbers on the lake with the majority of these birds
being Greater Scaup.

Last Saturday at Fifty Point, a Common Tern was seen close to shore as well
as a few Bonaparte's Gulls.  Not many passerines around but a variety of
sparrows were present including American Tree, Chipping, Fox, Swamp, Song
and White-throated Sparrow in addition to both Kinglets and an Eastern
Phoebe.

Reports from Woodland Cemetery this week include Pied-billed Grebe,
Ring-necked Duck, Northern Goshawk, many Cedar Waxwings, Snow Bunting and
Purple Finch.

>From the Waterdown Wetland Trails Hermit Thrush, Eastern Bluebird, Rusty
Blackbird and Fox Sparrow were reported in the week.

LaSalle Park this week had a variety of birds including Horned Grebe,
Northern Pintail, Ruddy Duck, Bald Eagle and Belted Kingfisher.

In the odds & sods category this week a Snow Goose was seen among a flock of
Canada Geese in the Caledonia area and banders at Ruthven observed a
Peregrine Falcon, Merlin and a late Broad-winged Hawk last Saturday.

Sunday is the Hamilton Fall Bird Count so if anything crops up that we
should know about please email me or phone the hotline!!!

Have a great week,
Good birding
Cheryl Edgecombe
HNC Hotline