[Ontbirds]HSR: Holiday Beach (05 Nov 2005) 1 Raptors

reports at hawkcount.org reports at hawkcount.org
Sun Nov 6 12:11:59 EST 2005

Holiday Beach Migration Observatory
Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Nov 05, 2005

Turkey Vulture               0            200          40963
Osprey                       0              0             85
Bald Eagle                   0              1             98
Northern Harrier             0             18            727
Sharp-shinned Hawk           1             17           9444
Cooper's Hawk                0              8            703
Northern Goshawk             0              0             35
Red-shouldered Hawk          0              0            591
Broad-winged Hawk            0              0           7965
Red-tailed Hawk              0             24           4061
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0             45
Golden Eagle                 0              2             35
American Kestrel             0              0           2030
Merlin                       0              0            116
Peregrine Falcon             0              0             53
Unknown                      0              0            103

Total:                       1            270          67054

Observation start time: 09:30:00
Observation end   time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 5.5 hours

Official Counter: Bob Pettit

Observers:

Visitors:
None

Weather:
Overcast, south wind 3 mph, temp aprox 14 C.

Raptor Observations:
Two raptors:One migrant Sharpie and one resident female Harrier.

Non-raptor Observations:
Many blackbird types around tower and woods (bush). Rusty-blackbirds in
high numbers. These birds were around all day and seemed not to want to go
west and south but milled around feeding in the marsh and bathing in the
shallow pond in front of the tower.
Estimate that 10,000 'blackbirds' (mostly starlings) were seen.

Predictions:
I was unable to enter the date on Saturday since my car was broken into
Saturday night in Windsor while at a banquet and my hawk data notebook,
ipod, camera, and binocs were taken. The data notebook and ipod have been
recovered by Windsor police this Sunday AM.
Corrected weather data will be edited after retrieving it this week. B.P.