[Ontbirds]Plegadis Ibis - I'm thinkin' its a Glossy ... Ajax

Geoff Carpentier: Birds avocet at rogers.com
Sun Nov 6 15:43:44 EST 2005

I went back down after the rain finally let up and had excellent looks at the ibis. The eye was dark, the facial skin at the base of the bill was bone-grey coloured, with no hint of pink. There was a blue line from the base of the bill to eye which was visible but hard to see.  I could not see a white line above the bill as the guides show. There was light feathering on the head - sort of looked like shafts of pale feathers over the dark base colour - like the Geographic shows and the crown and nape were dark brown. I'm leaning towards a first fall bird since no cinnamon/brown or whatever that colour is was evident on the side of the back above the scapulars.

Hopefully others will confirm my observations.

Nice bird .. it was there until at least 3:00 when if flew north but it keeps coming back to the NW part of the marsh closet to the lake.

Directions:

Take 401 to Westney and go south to Lake Driveway [Giant Tiger store on the corner], turn right at these lights and follow it to the entrance to Rotary Park on your right. Proceed to the shore of the marsh and park - when we last saw it it was visible from this parking lot - slightly NW and huddled close to the cattails along the muddy shore. It is also visible from the bridge on the Waterfront Trail where one would look due north.

Geoff Carpentier
Ajax