[Ontbirds]Ruby-crowned Kinglet- Humber Bay E., Toronto

Anne Anthony anthony at cogeco.ca
Fri Dec 23 07:45:36 EST 2005

Yesterday (Thurs. Dec 22) while walking out to find the male Harlequin Duck
at Humber Bay Park E., Jerry Ball spotted a Ruby-crowned Kinglet. We both
had good looks at both the kinglet and the harlequin.

Location

Humber Bay Park East is located in the west end of Toronto south of
Lakeshore at the foot of  Park Lawn.  There is an exit off the Garder
Expressway.  Go south to the lake on Park Lawn and  continue staight into
the park.. In the park, turn right at the first drive. The drive to the lot
isn't plowed well (speed bumps) but the parking lot is.

Harlequin Duck-  walk to the south east point (toward the CN tower. ) The
harlequin was with some Long-tailed Ducks.  We were facing south looking at
the open lake when we saw it.

Ruby-crowned Kinglet.- Assume the park is a point of land running east-west.
>From the parking lot, walk along the path on the NORTH side of the point.
Walk past the SOUTH side of the first pond. (mostly frozen, has puddle ducks
and 2 small openings to the inlet on the north side of the point.)
Immdeately to the east of this pond there is a wide "U" shaped bay opening
to the north and the inlet.  The kinglet flew across the path from the scrub
at the south-west end of the "U" bay to the scrub on the south side of the
the path.

Anne Anthony
Peterborough