[Ontbirds] 8 Gull Day at Niagara Falls including California and Little

A & K Williams williamsmusic at execulink.com
Tue Jan 3 16:11:58 EST 2006

We had an 8 Gull day on the Niagara River today.

As usual, it starts easily with Ring-billed and Herring and then we add
Great Black-backed (>10) and one Lesser Black-backed just above the Canadian
Falls. No sign of the Purple Sandpipers seen yesterday by Willie and Betsy;
I never have any luck with them there. No Palm Warbler either, but we had
Carolina Wren, Golden-crowned Kinglet, Brown Creeper in the parking area
park, and a Merlin at the (Control) Gate House where we had all four of the
Gulls.

We went downriver to the Adam Beck Dam Overlook to find 2 Kumlien's Iceland
Gulls and found the California Gull easily on the rocks on the lover left
side of the American Dam, where it is most often reported in the past. Nice
comparisons of it's features in good light against the Herring Gulls around
it.

All of the Bonaparte's Gulls were below the Whirlpool Bridge. We accessed
them via the Queenston Boat Dock and marched the trail upriver nearly one
km, scanning the Boneparte's, until Angie spotted the Little Gull. We did
not find the Black-headed Gull that was seen a couple days ago, not for lack
of trying!

Unfortunately, no Glaucous Gull nor Black-legged Kittiwake this time.
Nevertheless, a very nice day in the dull sunlight and no rain!

Directions: Take the QEW to Niagara Falls. Exit onto the 420 and take it to
the end. Turn right and follow the road south to the control gates above the
Falls. Penty of free parking. Reverse direction to find the Adam Beck
overlook about 5 km south of the Falls, and another 3 km downriver and
follow signs to the Queenston Boat ramp in the area of the Laura Secord
House, which is just below the escartment from the Floral Clock Area.

Happy New Year,
Ken

Ken and Angie Williams
83 Edinburgh Avenue