[Ontbirds]Snowy Owl - SW Keswick - Tue Jan 3

frank.pinilla at bell.ca frank.pinilla at bell.ca
Tue Jan 3 19:05:11 EST 2006

Hello All,

Today, Tuesday January 3rd, we took a drive around northern York Region.

In the area of Keele Street south of Bradford we had a close-up male Pileated Woodpecker and in some open water area along Woodchopper Lane (runs west off Keele) we had a Great Blue Heron, we could not find any Snowy Owls in this area.

On the way to Ravenshoe Rd. we had an adult Cooper's Hawk near some feeders along 2nd Cocession (north off Queensville Sdrd., west of Leslie St).

Along Ravenshoe (west off Leslie) we had a small flock of 13 Snow Buntings and here we found an immature Snowy Owl (heavily barred), this bird was at the western edge of a dirt field, about 200m north of the road behind a house with two corrugated metal barns beside it (pole #43082, no house #).

We also had 2 Northern Shrikes along Weir's Sdrd, 1 north of Old Shiloh Rd and 1 south of there.
Incidentally, we've had Northern Shrikes all 3 days of 2006, 1 juv at Humber Bay Park East in Toronto on Jan 1 and 1 in a new housing development on the west side of Yonge St. just north of Jefferson Sdrd. In Richmond Hill on Jan 2.

Also today 400+ American Crows (probably more) were in the area of Davis Drive just west of the York-Durham line.

There was also a Northern Mockingbird at Humber Bay E at the eastern terminus of the point on Jan 1 and 1 flying over Hwy 404 on Jan 2nd, north of Steeles & South of Hwy 407.  Also at HB East on Jan 1st were 7 Hooded Mergansers, 7 Northern Shovelers, 2 American Wigeon and 2 Lesser Scaup with the many Greater Scaup.  We could not find the previously reported Harlequin Duck.

Good birding,

Frank Pinilla & Sally An
Thornhill, ON

DIRECTIONS:

The areas in northern York Region are detailed in the text above (all around southern Bradford and Keswick).

Weir's Sdrd runs N-S and is in Durham Region well east of Woodbine Ave.  Old Shiloh Rd is north of Ravenshoe Rd, running E-W.

Humber Bay Park East can be found by going south on Park Lawn Rd from the Gardiner Expwy in Toronto, head south through the lights ar Lakeshore Blvd and turn right to get to the parking lot, walk along the paths to the east (where we had the Mockingbird & Shrike), the ducks are all in the inner bay in this area.