[Ontbirds] Harlequin, Carolina Wren and A. Coots at west end of Toronto.

Norm Murr normurr at sympatico.ca
Fri Jan 6 16:18:02 EST 2006

Good day birders.

 Today I went down to Sunnyside and Humber Bay Park to see what I could see.

 I arrived at Sunnyside too early (as usual) and decided to go into High Park to kill time until I got better and more light.

 I must admit that I didn't expect to be swarmed by the High Park Gang but swarmed I was but I survived and escaped. Shortly after going into the "south-eastern" end of the park I was swarmed by Blk-capped Chickadees, 8 White-breasted Nuthatches and 5 Downy Woodpeckers, a Carolina Wren and 3 N. Cardinals. The Downies and Nuthatches actually landed on my shoulder and hat but after a brief skirmish and the fact that I had no seeds for them I escaped without any injury. There are also A. Robins and Brown Creepers in the same area and 2 Red-tailed Hawks flew into a tree above me. Fearing that they would join the Gang I left the park and headed for Sunnyside Beach and Humber Bay Park.

There are still some Hooded Mergansers at Sunnyside and I found the male Harlequin Duck at the mouth of the Humber River, south of the white foot bridge and Lakeshore Blvd.

 I continued on to Humber Bay Park where I was fortunate to find 4 adult Trumpeter Swans, 24 Northern Shovelers, Redheads, 5 Lesser Scaup, 34 more Hooded Mergansers, 2 American Coots and a Northern Mockingbird.

 There are lots of the usual Waterfowl at Humber Bay Park including all 3 Merganser species.

DIRECTIONS

HIGH PARK
High Park is located in the west end of Toronto and is bounded on the south by The Queensway, the north by Bloor Street and on the east by Parkside Drive.

To reach High Park you can take the TTC Subway to the High Park Station or the Queen Street Streetcar #501 to either the Parkside Drive or the Colborne Lodge Drive streetcar stops or you may drive in from High Park Avenue at the north end of the park.

SUNNYSIDE BEACH

Sunnyside Beach is at the south end of High Park and across Lakeshore Blvd. You can reach it by taking the Queen Street Streetcar #501 and getting off at either Parkside Drive, Colborne Lodge, Ellis Ave. or Windemere Ave. and going south under the railway tracks and across Lakeshore Blvd. If you are driving then you can park in one of serveral parking lots (free) on the south side of Lakeshore Blvd.

HUMBER BAY PARK IN TORONTO

To get to Humber Bay Park from Queen & Yonge Streets. Take the Queen Street Car #501 west to Park Lawn Road, the park is across from the street car stop. Depending on which Queen Street street car you board you may or may not have to transfer from one car to another at the Humber Loop, but this is no big deal.

You can also take the 66D TTC bus from Old Mill subway station directly to the Humber Bay Park loop.

By automobile from downtown Toronto drive west on Lakeshore Blvd, cross the Humber River Bridge at Sunnyside and drive to Park Lawn Road (on the west side of Christie Biscuits), turn left (south) and your in Humber Bay East.

After exiting this area turn left (west) and drive to the entrance to Humber Bay West which immediatly on your left as you cross the bridge.

Norm Murr

Richmond Hill, ON

PS

For those who go birding down at the above 3 locations and are too lazy to post directions then you have my permission to clip and paste mine.

NM