[Ontbirds]Rough-legged Hawk in Brighton

verafg2 at netscape.net verafg2 at netscape.net
Sun Jan 8 13:26:37 EST 2006

We saw a Rough-legged Hawk sitting on a hydro pole around noon along Hwy 2 on the south side just past the lights for the new NoFrills supercentre on the east side of Brighton.  We saw what was probably the same Hawk along Hwy 64 just east out of Brighton yesterday.  That's about a mile or less south of Hwy 2.

We've seen at least 4 ravens while driving along Hwy 2 in the past week or so, and we also had a flock of Waxwings land in a tree in our front yard on Walt St in Smithfield.  We were pretty certain at least one was a Bohemian.  Red-tailed Hawks continue to hunt daily in the meadow below our house and of course are often harrassed by crows.

Brighton is about 3 miles south of the 401 from exit #509, approximately 90 miles east of Toronto.  Sorry about the "miles" but I can't think in kilometers!

Vera Fitz-Gerald
Smithfield