[Ontbirds]Kingston Area: Short-eared & Snowy Owl

Bruce Di Labio bruce.dilabio at sympatico.ca
Sun Jan 8 19:18:56 EST 2006

Hi Everyone
    Birded Amherst Island, Wolfe Island and Kingston over the weekend. Birds
of prey were very low- no Harriers or Rough-legged Hawks, but we did managed
to find 5 Snowy Owls yesterday on Amherst. There were 2 birds at the east
end of the island on the KFN property and 3  individuals scattered west of
Stella. Today, Jan. 8th,  we observed 1 Short-eared Owl and 4 Snowy Owls on
Wolfe Island. The Short-eared Owl was hunting during the morning along 5th
Line Road near Ridge Road. The Snowys were on various roads, west of 7th
Line Road. The hawk numbers were very low with only a few Red-tailed Hawks
on both islands and a Merlin yesterday on Amherst and a American Kestrel
today on Wolfe. The waterfowl numbers were good, 13 species: highlights
included 7 American Wigeon and 1 Green-winged Teal at the DuPont Plant and
44 Tundra Swans on Wolfe Island. Other birds of note were 15 American Coots,
1 Bald Eagle, 1 Savannah Sparrow, and 1 Field Sparrow.
                                                        good birding
                                                            Bruce

Directions: Exit off Hwy. 401 at exit 593 (County Road 4, Camden East)
and drive south to the very end (Millhaven).  Turn right on Hwy. 33 and
drive 100 metres until you see the sign for the Amherst Island ferry. The
ferry (20 minute trip) leaves the mainland on the half hour and leaves the
island on the hour. Cost is $5.00 round trip. There are no gas stations on
the island.
There are restrooms on the ferry, and at the island ferry dock.
The East End K.F.N. property is at the easternmost part of the island on the
east side of the Lower Forty Foot Road.
If you require additional information , please email me privately.

Bruce Di Labio
400 Donald B. Munro Drive
P.O.Box 538
Carp,Ontario,K0A 1L0