[Ontbirds]Kingston area birds to Mar 3

Peter and Jane Good goodcompany at sympatico.ca
Fri Mar 3 08:37:07 EST 2006

Despite the noticeably longer days and the warmth in the sun, the Kingston
area is still waiting for that influx of Killdeer and blackbirds that
indicates that spring has finally arrived. Other than reports of many Horned
Larks and one new  sighting of robins all the submissions this week were
definitely what one would call winter birds.

Two male Barrow's Goldeneye were seen in the St. Lawrence east of Gananoque
Feb 24 and a Lesser Black-backed Gull near the Wolfe I. ferry dock in
Kingston Feb 28. Five Short-eared Owls were seen on Wolfe I. Feb 27 and the
fifth N. Goshawk of the season was seen near Elginburg on Feb 23. North of
Camden East there was  a small flock of 6 Bohemian Waxwings on Mar 2. An
observer on Howe I. reported a shrike and 3 Red-bellied Woodpeckers Feb 28
and 2 Tufted Titmice were seen in Cape Vincent that same day.

The best bird of the week was the white phase Gyrfalcon seen on HWY 15 south
of the 401 on Feb 24. We had one of these on the Kingston Christmas count in
mid December but there have been no other reports all winter. It makes one
wonder were it has spent the interim if in fact it is the same bird.

Here's hoping that next week's report will be a good reason to dust off the
binoculars and get out and welcome spring.

Cheers,
Peter Good
Kingston Field Naturalists
613 378-6605