[Ontbirds]Pileated Woodpecker at Shell Park, Oakville

Jeanne Halet Syms jeannehs at cogeco.ca
Sat Mar 25 20:35:45 EST 2006

This afternoon around 5:00 p.m. I was walking up the green belt at the north

end of Shell Park about 500 yds south of Rebecca St. when I heard what was
obviously a large woodpecker drumming in the woods to the west of the green
belt.

There are several tree trunks with many woodpecker holes in them lying on
the ground close to the fence outside the woods close to the area where the
Pileated Woodpecker was located in a large silver birch straight back in the

woods about 80 -100 yds.

Directions:
Shell Park is located in Oakville on the north side of Lakeshore Rd. between

Bronte Rd. and Burloak . After parking in the first parking lot you walk due
north
up the road, continue past the garden plot area, and turn right to go around
the woods,
and continue north up the green belt until you reach the area described
above.
It is probably closer to come along Rebecca St.  and walk south down
the green belt, but I 'm not sure where you can park at that end.

Jeanne Halet Syms
jeannehs at cogeco.ca