[Ontbirds]Carden Alvar and area

john bick jbick at sympatico.ca
Mon May 1 22:54:30 EDT 2006

Good observations were made this morning of several Northern Rough-Winged Swallows around the liftlocks at Kirkfield.

On a visit to Wylie Road in the Carden Alvar, we observed directly from our vehicle the following:
Upland Sandpiper, Common Snipe, Field Sparrow, Savannah Sparrow, Eastern Kingbird,  Loggerhead Shrike, Harrier ( female), Eastern Towhee (4), Brown Thrasher and many Eastern Bluebirds, Tree Swallows and several other common species. Lesser and Greater Yellowlegs as well as Blue-Winged Teal were observed at a field pond on Eldon Station Road east of Prospect.

We too noticed the new private property signs throughout the area including the several on Prospect Road.

As a fulltime resident of the regional municipality in which this is happening, I echo Ron Reid's posting that we be careful where we park and stop especially on Wylie's Road because over the next couple of weeks, ranchers will be moving their cattle on to their pastures using large trucks which require most of the width of the narrow roads.

This may be another symptom of the widespread distrust and economic pain being experienced throughout rural Ontario, most of which seems to be ignored by urban governments , so let's all be as understanding as we can by being good ambassadors and hopefully this will not get out of proportion.

John Bick
Bobcaygeon

Directions:

Kirkfield is on Cty Rd 48 in the City of Kawartha Lakes east of Hwy 12 or west of Hwy 35. Go north from Kirkfield on Cty Rd 6
to the Trent Canal Liftlocks and then 2.5 kms more for a right on McNamee Rd and a sharp left on to Wylie Rd for the world famous Carden Alvar.

Prospect Road is a right turn before entering Kirkfield from the west and crosses Eldon Stn Road a couple of concessions to the south.