[Ontbirds]Huron Fringe Birding report

mike pickup mpickup at bmts.com
Wed May 24 07:30:20 EDT 2006

The weather looks good for the first weekend of the festival. Sunny and
warm. A chance of thundershowers on Friday and Saturday.
The birds are still arriving and there are pockets of warblers still active
in MacGregor Point Park. Kempf's Trail had territoial singing of Red-eyed
Vireo and American Redstart. Warbling Vireo were aslo singing along the
Towere Trail. Black-throated Green and Black-throated Blue are also present.
Ovenbirds, Northern Waterthrush and Nashville Warbler were heard on Lake
Ridge Trail. Around the Visitor Centre on Huron Fringe Trail there were
Black-capped Chickadee, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Common Yellowthroat, Yellow
Warbler and a Scarlet Tanager seen or heard.
 A trip yesterday up to Issac Lake did not produce many birds. Blue-winged
Teal was the most common, Sora Rail were heard calling, Swamp Sparrow seen
and heard, Bobolink along the hillside at the parking lot at the boat
launch. There were 4 Black Tern flying over the lake.
>From here we went to Sky Lake and saw quite a few Common Merganser, a
Caspian Tern, 10 to 15 Black Tern, Pied-billed Grebe, Marsh Wren and Swamp
Sparrow.
Mirimichi Bay had the usual ducks and Canada Geese amd 2 feeding Great
Egret.

Directions
To reach MacGregor Point Provincial Park. From Hwy #21 south of Port Elgin,
turn west on 4th Conc. Saugeen and follow the signs to the Park.
Mirimichi Bay is west of Hwy #21 on 10th Conc. Saugeen north of Port Elgin.
Travel west approx. 2 km and turn right (north), the first intesection and
Mirimichi Bay and Horseshoe Bay are on your left as you travel along Lake
Huron towards Southampton, Chantry Island can been seen of shore.
Issac Lake is north of Wiarton off Hwy #6. You turn left on Issac Lake Rd.
approx. 10km north of Wiarton.
Sky Lake is located along RedBay Rd. from the village of Mar. There is a gas
station and restaurant on the corner where you turn left. Red Bay Rd. is
approx. 2km farther north from Issac lake Rd.
Good birding
Mike Pickup
++++
The HURON FRINGE BIRDING FESTIVAL takes place every year at MacGregor Point
Provincial Park.
This year the 9th Annual Festival takes place MAY 26 TO JUNE 4. There are
over 80 events and over 40 top notch leaders. The migration corridor along
the shore of Lake Huron known as "The Huron Fringe", extending from
Kincardine to Tobermory on the Bruce Peninsula is the area we cover. Our
birding hikes, presentations and workshops are lead by very competent
birders and naturalists from all Ontario and Michigan. All birders and
naturalists from the beginner to the more advanced will find something to
pique their interests.
To find out more about our program and down load a registration form, visit
the Friends of MacGregor Point web site.
Spaces on our some of our events are still available. Sign up at the Park.
http://www.friendsofmacgregor.org
(Click on "Birding Festival" and then on "Events")
for accommodation in Saugeen Shores visit
http://www.sunsets.com