[Ontbirds]Whimbrel - Col Sam Smith Park, Toronto - Wed May 24

frank.pinilla at bell.ca frank.pinilla at bell.ca
Wed May 24 09:32:06 EDT 2006

Birders,

I headed out to Colonel Sam Smith Park in the west end of Toronto before
work this morning (arrived at 6:45am) and as soon as I stepped out of
the car I saw a flock of 8 Whimbrel flying west about 50m up out over
the spit of land.  I got my scope on them and they seemed to be trying
to land and circling a bit.  I decided to walk out to the southeastern
tip and met Dennis Duckworth & Don Perks, Dennis mentioned that he had
seen 110 Whimbrel since daybreak.  I stayed for about an hour and only
had those 8 Whimbrel, which circled the park about 3 times, heading way
out over the lake and then coming back, calling much of the time.  While
here I also had 2 WHITE-WINGED SCOTERS, Don spotted a distant GREAT
EGRET which I finally got onto and I had 1 juv COMMON LOON.  At least 3
WILLOW FLYCATCHERS calling in the area and 1 NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD along
the main N-S path (some of it's calls sounded just like the "ki-dick" of
a Virginia Rail!).  In the bay (where the marina is), there were 2
LESSER SCAUP and 3 BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERONS.

A good but short morning of birding before work.  By the way, the woods
to the north were very quiet, I had next to no warblers in my short 5
minute walk around there.

Good birding,
Frank Pinilla
Thornhill, ON

DIRECTIONS:
Colonel Sam Smith Park is found at the southern end of Kipling Avenue in
the west end of Toronto, exit the QEW at the Kipling exit and follow
signs to Kipling Ave South (the exit from the eastbound QEW dumps you on
Evans Ave, turn right on Evans and then left on Kipling).  Follow
Kipling south through the lights at Lakeshore Blvd and continue to the
last parking lot, walk south to the southeastern spit of land (a high
point, good for viewing the lake).  Also, the woods just north of the
parking lot can be very good for warblers at times.