[Ontbirds]Townsend to Long Point - Red-necked Phalarope, etc.

Norm Murr normurr at sympatico.ca
Thu May 25 08:17:51 EDT 2006

Good Morning

 Went back to my old stomping grounds yesterday thanks to Naish McHugh. We had a pretty good day (106 species) even though we bypassed Wilson's Tract and St, Williams Forest and went to Backus Woods too late in the day for song.

 We started at the Townsend Sewage lagoons where we saw a Red-necked Phalarope, Ruddy Turnstones, S-B Dowitcher, and other more common shorebirds. Also there was a Tundra Swan, Ruddy Ducks, and Shovelers.

 We then drove towards Simcoe along and with stops on Concession 14 where we saw Green Heron, Wild Turkeys, E. Bluebirds, 2 Coyotes, a Raccoon carrying one of her young across the road and the usual Sc. Tanagers, B. Orioles along with Great crested Flycatchers, E. Wood Pewees, E. Phoebes, Gnatcatchers and House and Carolina Wrens.

 Next stop was the Turkey Point Marsh overlook where we had scope views of a Bald Eagle at it's nest and 1 close overhead as well as Sandhill Cranes and Red-bellied Woodpecker.

  Off we went to the Port Rowan overlook and the Bird Studies Canada pond and on to Big Creek Marsh where we saw another Bald Eagle, Black Terns, many Marsh Wrens, Sandhill Cranes and Blanding's Turtle. WE didn't walk the marsh trail so we probably miss a number of species.

 From the marsh we went to Old Cut Woods and the old Provincial Park where we found 17 Warbler species, Philadelphia Vireo, Gray-cheeked and Swainson's Thrushes, Veery, Carolina and House Wrens, R-T Hummingbirds, Least and Yellow-bellied Flycatchers, Sc. Tanagers, E. Pewees, Lincoln Sparrows, Gnatcatchers, and Green Herons (overhead).

 We then drove back and past Lee Brown Conservation area where Naish spotted another Bald Eagle. WE stopped at the Triple Bridges area on A Concession Road and found 2 more Carolina Wrens, Hooded Merganser, Indigo Bunting, more Great crested Flycatchers and House Wrens, Sc. Tanager and a N. Harrier.

 We now went over to Backus Woods which was quiet except for the buzzing of Mosquitoes (not too bad YET) but we did have Pileated, Red-bellied and Hairy Woodpecker, Y-B Sapsucker and the expected Ovenbirds and then it was over and off we went for home.

DIRECTIONS
TOWNSEND SEWAGE LAGOONS

On the way down to Long Point on Hwy 6 you will pass through Hagersville and drive towards Jarvis. Just as you approach the town of Jarvis you will see a sign indicating "TOWNSEND" at Nanticoke Creek Parkway #69. Turn right here and drive to the intersection with the stop signs, turn left on Keith Richardson Parkway and drive past some park ponds on your right. Drive ahead until you see a small children’s shelter (with an air conditioner on it) on your right at County Rd 14. This is just before you reach the abandoned railway line (tracks removed). Turn right here onto County Rd 14. and drive a few hundred yards and you will see a gate and sign indicating that this is a waste treatment area.. Park well to the side of the road, do not block the gate. If the gate is open (they are on some weekends) then do not park directly across from the gate as the larger "Honey Trucks" need the area to swing into and out of the entrance road.

These lagoons are USUALLY only accessible on the weekend or after 6pm during the week.

If asked to leave or not enter then please be respectful and comply as it seems that for now we are being tolerated.

14th CONCESSION ROAD

(Between Townsend and Simcoe, Simcoe County, south of Hagersville at Jarvis.)

The 14th Concession Rd runs (for concern here) in the east from Keith Richardson Blvd at Townsend for about 6.2 km to Hwy 24 on the north side of Simcoe.

Along the way you will pass the Townsend sewage lagoons (just a few hundred yards west of Keith Richardson Blvd), Catfish Creek (about 600 yards past (west of) the sewage lagoons), and a farm pond on your left (south side of 14th) west of Cockshutt Rd (County Rd 5).

TURKEY POINT MARSH OVERLOOK

To get to the Turkey Point Marsh overlook from Brantford, drive straight south down Hwy 24 through Simcoe ((following Hwy 24 as it curves west towards Long Point. About 8 km you will come to county road 10, turn left (south), (there are signs here as you approach this road indicating Turkey Point Prov. Park) and drive straight ahead for about 4 km until you reach Lakeshore Road, turn right (west), drive through the ravine and continue west until you see the chain link fence and pull off on your left (south) side. Park here and you will have a great view of the marsh. You should have a scope for this area for best viewing. ))

>From Hamilton drive south on Hwy 6 through Hagersville to Jarvis. In Jarvis turn right (west) on Hwy 24 and drive to Simcoe. In Simcoe turn left (south) on Hwy 24 and follow the directions in double brackets above.

OLD CUT WOODS AT LONG POINT

Old Cut Woods at Long Point is southwest of Hamilton, directly south of Port Rowan. To reach it you can drive south on Hwy 6 from Hamilton, passing through Hagersville and turning right, west in Jarvis onto Hwy 3, drive to Simcoe and turn left, south on Hwy 24 and follow this to Hwy 59, ( it curves to the west south of town) turn left, south on Hwy 59 and drive right down about 8 km and past the golf coarse and you will be on the causeway (Long Point Rd).

Drive on across the bridge and continue past the marina on your left. The road comes to Lake Erie where it curves to the left (Erie Blvd) through the cottage / retail business area. Continue driving until you come to Old Cut Road. Turn left and drive a couple of hundred yards down this road (you will see the entrance to the banding area on your right) this is the entrance to Old Cut Woods. Drive another 100 feet or so and you will see a parking area on your left. Park here and walk across the road to the woods.

NOTE: Be sure to lock your car and put your valuables out of sight).

OLD LONG POINT PROVINCIAL PARK

The Old Park at Long Point is southwest of Hamilton, directly south of Port Rowan. To reach it you can drive south on Hwy 6 from Hamilton, passing through Hagersville and turning right, west in Jarvis onto Hwy 3, drive to Simcoe and turn left, south on Hwy 24 and follow this to Hwy 59, ( it curves to the west south of town) turn left, south on Hwy 59 and drive right down about 8 km and past the golf coarse and you will be on the causeway (Long Point Rd).

Drive on across the bridge and continue past the marina on your left. The road comes to Lake Erie where it curves to the left (Erie Blvd) through the cottage / retail business area. Continue driving until you come to Woodstock Parkway on your right (before Old Cut Road). The entrance to the park is about 250 yards further on at the right hand side of the road. If you have reached Abigail Becker Parkway also on your right you are about to pass the park. You can turn right on Abigail and park here and enter the park from that end or park at the gate if the park is closed (before about 15th of June weekend or after Labour Day).

NOTE: Be sure to lock your car and put your valuables out of sight).

TRIPLE BRIDGE AT PORT ROYAL / PORT ROWAN ON A CONCESSION

To reach the triple bridge area you can drive south on Hwy 6 from Hamilton, passing through Hagersville and turning right (west) in Jarvis onto Hwy 3, drive west to Simcoe and turn left (south) on Hwy 24 and follow this to Hwy 59, turn left (south) on Hwy 59 and drive right down about 7 km to A Concession Road (just before the golf coarse on your right and just south of the OPP station also on your right.

Turn right (west) here and follow the road to Big Creek. You will come to 3 bridges only a couple hundred yards apart.

Or you can drive past A Concession Road to Lakeshore Rd at the putting coarse. Turn right (west) here and drive past Lee Brown Conservation Area to the next road which is West 1/4 Line EXT. Turn right (north here and drive about 2km to A Concession Road. Turn right (east) and drive about 1 km to the bridges.

BACKUS WOODS NORTH OF LONG POINT

Backus Woods near Long Point is southwest of Hamilton and north of Port Rowan. To reach it you can drive south on Hwy 6 from Hamilton, passing through Hagersville and turning right, (west) in Jarvis onto Hwy 3, drive to Simcoe and turn left (south) on Hwy 24 and follow this towards Hwy 59. About 2 km past Norfolk Township East 1/4 Line Road or about 1 ½ km east or short of Hwy 59 is the entrance to Backus Woods on the south side of the road (your left if you came from the Hamilton direction). There is a small parking area just about 200 yards down this small road and there is a trail map in this location.

This is a very buggy area in season, so be sure to take insect repellent also be sure to lock your automobile door, etc.

Sorry about the long directions part but if I don't include them I get knocked by some of the Ontbird subscribers.

Norm Murr

Richmond Hill, ON