[Ontbirds]Whimbrels still passing at Colonel Sam Park

Norm Murr normurr at sympatico.ca
Fri May 26 14:48:40 EDT 2006

Good afternoon.

 My report pales beside the Presqu'ile and Long Point posts but one does the best one can.

 I took a chance with the weather this morning and lucked out as the rain let up when I got to Col. Sam and started again as I caught the street car to return home.

 I walked out towards the lake and on the way at one of the bays was a Semipalmated Plover and I almost tripped over 2 N. Mockingbirds feeding in the grass and arriving at the lake I immediately spotted a flock of 31 Whimbrel heading west close in over the lake. As I hung around watching the lake 5 Black-bellied Plovers and 4 Dunlin passed by as well as a flock of  2 Whimbrel.

 I then walked back to the bay with the Semipalmated Plover but it was gone and a Least Sandpiper was there. I then went back to the lake and spied 6 more Whimbrel passing overhead. I again went back to the aforementioned bay and this time the Least Sandpiper was gone and a White-rumped Sandpiper was in it's place. Now I either have to take a field guide with me or the one bird kept changing clothes.

 While at the lake side of the park I also had 3 Common Loons on the lake and 3 passing overhead as well as all 6 Swallows, 3 Willow Flycatchers and 2 Bobolinks.

 I decided it was time to leave and on the way to Queen St. I spotted a Veery, a Swainson's Thrush, and a Gray-cheeked Thrush together.

DIRECTIONS
COLONEL SAMUEL SMITH PARK IN ETOBICOKE -TORONTO

To get to Col. Sam Smith Park from Queen & Yonge Streets. Take the Queen Street Car #501 (Long Branch) west to Kipling Ave. The park is across from the street car stop behind the Humber College buildings. Depending on which Queen Street streetcar you board you may or may not have to transfer from one car to another at the Humber Loop, but this is no big deal.

You can also take the 44 TTC bus from Kipling subway station directly to the Col. Sam Smith Park loop.

By automobile from downtown Toronto drive west on Lakeshore Blvd, cross the Humber River Bridge at Sunnyside and drive to Kipling Ave. turn left (south) and your in Colonel Sam Smith Park..

 Norm Murr
Richmond Hill, ON