[Ontbirds] Hamilton Naturalists Club Birding Report - Thursday, June 22, 2006

Cheryl Edgecombe cheryle29 at cogeco.ca
Thu Jun 22 22:20:44 EDT 2006

On Thursday, June 22nd, 2006, this is the HNC Birding Report:

YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT

Common Loon
Green Heron
Northern Harrier
Merlin
Eastern Screech Owl
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Alder Flycatcher
Willow Flycatcher
Acadian Flycatcher
Yellow-throated Vireo
Marsh Wren
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Cedar Waxwing
Blue-winged Warbler
Yellow Warbler
Scarlet Tanager
Eastern Towhee
Field Sparrow
Savannah Sparrow
Grasshopper Sparrow
Eastern Meadowlark
Baltimore Oriole
Orchard Oriole

A quiet week here in the Hamilton Study Area.  Bird (s) of the week continue
to be the YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT but not tonight as they decided to keep quiet
in my presence this evening.  However two birds have been seen/heard all
week at the Iroquois Conservation Area in Ancaster.

A tour of Flamborough last Friday was successful in scaring up some year
birds.  Green Heron, Willow Flycatcher, Yellow-throated Vireo, and Marsh
Wren were all seen at the Millgrove Loam Pits on 5th Concession west of
Millgrove Side Road.  A Sparrowfest was happening on 6th Concession just
west of Westover under the hydro lines as Savannah, Field, and Grasshopper
Sparrow were all well seen and heard on the south side along with a singing
Eastern Meadowlark.  An Eastern Towhee was singing at the Klaas Christmas
Tree Farm located on Kirkwall Road just north of 6th concession.

In a futile quest for Golden-winged Warbler at the bottom of Martins Lane,
birds seen here were Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Alder Flycatcher,
Blue-winged and Yellow Warbler.

At the back of Bronte Creek Provincial Park where our resident Dickcissels
were last year, many Bobolinks were seen and heard chattering in the field
along with Yellow Warbler and Savannah Sparrows.  A male Northern Harrier
flew low over the fields here.

Most of our items this week are in the odds & sods department, a real
melting pot this week!! Here we go:  A Common Loon flew past Canada Centre
for Inland Waters early in the week. A Merlin was spotted at Guelph Line &
Britannia Road (a significant sighting for possible nesting). A pair Eastern
Screech Owls brought their family of three into a backyard for nightly
feeding this past week in the Walkers Line and New Street Area in
Burlington. A Golden-crowned Kinglet was seen in the pine plantation in the
Dundas Valley Conservation area near the maintenance yard. An Acadian
Flycatcher was heard last Thursday near the Lions Club Pool in Ancaster.
Cedar Waxwing and Scarlet Tanager have been yard birds this week in Rock
Chapel and tonight an Orchard Oriole was seen in the parking lot of the
Northshore Trails off of York Road in Dundas.

That's the news of the week, short and sweet.  Time to look for those
southbound shorebirds and of course breeding birds.  Keep reporting your
sightings!

Have a great week,
Cheryl Edgecombe
HNC Hotline