[Ontbirds]American Avocet - Grand Bend S.L.

Maris Apse apsemaris at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 11 15:38:06 EDT 2006

Hi all!
      I just got back from ashort trot around the lagoons - not much
shorebird habitat as the water is quite high in all 4, but an adult female
(judging by sharp upturn of bill) was foraging on west side of 3rd. lagoon.
It flew up and landed in the deep water and seemed quite comfortable (first
time I've  seen this) and then flew over to 4th. lagoon and again landed on
the water for a short time and then flew up, landing on west shore of the
3rd. lagoon. As I was leaving via the south side it flew into the 2nd lagoon
but I could not locate it here on my way out - it could have landed in the
taller vegetation to stay hidded.
      There were ~12 Killdeer, ~ 6 Least S. , ~12 Spotted S., ~ 8 Lesser and
1 Greater Yellowlegs and 1 Baird's S. and still lots of waterfowl including
2 Hooded Merganser.
                                                                  Cheers !
Maris

Directions - GBSL are SE of town on Mollard Line - coming out of GB on HC#81
turn right on Mollard Line - lagoons are on right OR from Greenway Road
(east of Hwy#21) turn left on Mollard Line - lagoons are on left.

Maris Apse
10094 Red Pine Road, Box 22,
RR #2 Grand Bend ON  N0M 1T0
(519)  238 - 8415