[Ontbirds] Hamilton Naturalists Club Birding Report - Thursday, July 20th, 2006

cheryle29 at cogeco.ca cheryle29 at cogeco.ca
Thu Jul 20 17:57:55 EDT 2006

On Thursday, July 20th, 2006 this is the HNC Birding Report:

STILT SANDPIPER
SANDERLING

Red-necked Grebe
Great Blue Heron
Bufflehead
Greater Scaup
Blue-winged Teal
Virginia Rail
Sora
Common Moorhen
Killdeer
Lesser Yellowlegs
Solitary Sandpiper
Spotted Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper
Pectoral Sandpiper
Short-billed Dowitcher
Wilson’s Snipe
Black Tern
Great Horned Owl
Great Crested Flycatcher
Cliff Swallow
Brown Creeper
Winter Wren
Northern Waterthrush

After two weeks, I finally have more than 5 birds I can talk about.  My apologies to those who sent in their sightings
last week, I have not forgotten.  I did not have much to write about so decided to wait a week and here we are with a
list a little more worth the typing about.

As you can see, shorebirds are moving back into the Hamilton Study Area.  Smithville Sewage lagoons are in excellent
condition for shorebirds particularly the back cell.  In here this week and in increasing numbers were Killdeer, Lesser
Yellowlegs, Solitary , STILT, Spotted, Least and Pectoral Sandpiper and Short-billed Dowitcher and Wilson’s Snipe.
The Stilt Sandpipers are in adult plumage, an excellent study for this species.  They were still at the lagoons as of
Tuesday.  Also in the cells were one Blue-winged Teal and a couple of Great Blue Herons.  A week and a half ago, a Black
Tern was seen over the lagoons.

Grimsby Sewage Lagoons have been a little on the high side however this week Virginia Rail were reported and in the past
weeks a Common Moorhen and Sora have been heard.

Red-necked Grebes are nesting again down at Bronte Harbour .  One chick can be seen with the adult nearby but one egg
also remained unhatched.  Also actively nesting down at the harbour are the colony of Cliff Swallows.

On 8th concession in Flamborough in the Beverly Swamp, Great Crested Flycatcher, Brown Creeper, Winter Wren and Northern
Waterthrush were reported last week.

In the odds & sods a female Greater Scaup was seen on the Northeast shore of the harbour,  a male Bufflehead was seen at
Bronte harbour which is interesting for July, a Great Horned Owl was heard and briefly seen at Rock Chapel along the
escarpment, last week two SANDERLING were seen at Fifty Point along the beach last week.

Be on the lookout for more shorebirds and early passerine migrants starting in the next couple of weeks.  I hope to be
busier than I am now, keep me posted!

Good birding,
Cheryl Edgecombe
HNC Hotline