[Ontbirds]Success with Great Egrets with red leg bands!

WilliamWatsonSr at aol.com WilliamWatsonSr at aol.com
Mon Jul 24 22:35:35 EDT 2006

Birders,

PLEASE SAVE THE INFORMATION IN THIS EMAIL.

We have had already two surprising early successes. One at Columbia  lake in
Waterloo and may have been banded Nottawasaga Island, and one near  Bobcaygeon
where the Hartleys were successful in reading the band number! The
Bobcaygeon Great Egret was banded this year at Motor Island in the Niagara River  about
165 miles to the south.

Please make an effort to read the banding code so we can be certain which
colony the egret came from. (I know it can be very difficult.)

So keep looking for Great Egrets with RED BANDS WITH WHITE  LETTER-NUMBERS
ABOVE THE “KNEE” OF THE LEFT LEG AND THE TRADITIONAL ALUMINUM  BAND ABOVE THE “
ANKLE” OF THE RIGHT LEG. (At least one was banded with the red  color band
above the ankle.) The band code on the red band can usually be read  with a
spotting scope as the letter numbers are nearly an inch high.

If you see any, please record the date and location and, if  possible, the
letter(s) and number(s) so we can better document the dispersal  pattern of
these fledglings. Report all sighting of Great Egret with red color  bands to at
least one of the following locations.
D. V. Chip  Weseloh
Canadian Wildlife Service-Ontario Region
4905 Dufferin St.
Downsview, Ontario
M3H 5T4
Phone: 416-739-5846