[Ontbirds]Niagara Falls Tricolored Heron - YES

ray barlow raymondjbarlow at yahoo.ca
Sat Aug 12 17:06:22 EDT 2006

Once again, the Tricoloured Heron (Egretta tricolor)  is fishing about the Niagara River across from the Dufferin Islands park, the parking spots are hard to come by, but it is worth the effort.  Daisy and I met some very nice OntBirds members there this morning, good birding to you all.

We watched the heron come and go for about 5 hours this morning, Saturday August 12th, 2006 ... it would feed for about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes, then take off to another location accross the river for some Buffalo Wings, and then return to Canada for a cold beer.

Amazing to watch this bird catching minnows that were sailing by at a very high speed., lighting accuracy with it's neck and beak, it actually brought in 2 minnows in one dive.. a photo on the website is there for proof!  Sometimes it would inhale 3-5 minnows inside of a minute!

Here is one shot from today.

  http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/rammy111111/TriColouredHeron10.jpg

More on the website here...  www.rayswildlife.com

Thanks to everyone who has sent me comments regarding my photos, it is my pleasure to share them with all of you fine folks.  There is a comment window under each image, feel free to post your thoughts there if you wish.  Today was one of my best birding shoots ever, and i hope to have all the editing and photos posted on my website tomorrow.

Good Birding!!

regards, ray and daisy

Diane and Kayo Roy <kayoroy at niagara.com> wrote: The adult Tricolored Heron remains at the same location above the Falls in Niagara Falls.

DIRECTIONS:
Once in Niagara Falls drive along the Niagara Parkway above the Falls to Dufferin Island.  Lots of tourists there at this time of the year and parking can be a real problem.  Go to the south entrance road to Dufferin Island and park here.  IT IS FREE.  Walk back across the Parkway towards the Falls and look for the small GATE HOUSE HYDRO building (less than a 5 minute walk). It is just south of the much larger old Toronto Hydro Building (sometimes called the Engineerium building).  There is a little parkette between these two buildings....walk along the NORTH side of Gate House building to the river edge.  Look for the park bench closest to this small building, the heron was opposite this bench feeding on small fish standing on some very close shoreline rocks.

Kayo

Kayo Roy
13 Kinsman Court
Fonthill, ON
L0S 1E3
kayoroy at niagara.com
ONTBIRDS is presented by the Ontario Field Ornithologists - the provincial birding organization.
For instructions to join or leave ONTBIRDS visit http://www.ofo.ca/ontbirdshow.htm
ONTBIRDS Guidelines may be viewed at http://www.ofo.ca/ontbirdsguide.htm

Raymond J Barlow
13 Sandra Crescent