[Ontbirds] Buff-breasted Sandpipers,Golden and Black-bellied Plovers near Dunnville

Norm Murr normurr at sympatico.ca
Mon Sep 4 20:35:49 EDT 2006

Good evening

 Today Alfred Adamo and I motored on down to Rock Point Provincial Park and areas between there and Niagara Falls. On the way just east of County Rd 32 on County Rd 17 (the road to Dunnville) we spotted 11 Wild Turkeys beside the road and along Downey Rd (on the east side of Rock Point Provincial Park) Alfred spotted another Wild Turkey and with her were 2 chicks about 12" tall. Rock Point Park was disappointing as most of the Shorebirds had moved on. 3 Ruddy Turnstones, 9 Sanderlings, 13 Semi-palmated Plovers and a dozen or so Semi-palmated and Least Sandpipers were there though along with 8 or so Warbler species.

 We then left the park and drove some of the side roads north of the park and on a sod farm along Bird Road north of Canal Bank Road (east of Stromness, which is south of Dunnville) we found 1 Golden Plover, 11 Black-bellied Plovers and 3 Buff-breasted sandpipers.

 We then continued north on Bird Rd and did some right hand turns to the next road over (Poth Road) and at sod farms here we found 41 Killdeer and 35+ Horned Larks.

 From here it was off via some more side roads to Fort Erie and on down the river to Niagara falls where we were again disappointed in finding that the Control dam had opened it's gates and the water was very high, flooding all the rocks along the shore and most of them out on the river and there being no where for them the Tri-colored Herons were no where to be found.

 This coming Gull season at Niagara will hold some surprising changes. The parking area above the Control Dam is gone, buried under construction material and equipment and the area just south of Dufferin Island (where the Herons were) also is partly cut off because of construction. You can no longer view the rocks, etc below the barge from here.

Directions:-
ROCK POINT PROVINCIAL PARK - FEE

>From the QEW highway just south of the Burlington Skyway exit at Confederation Parkway (Hwy 20). Drive south down Hwy 20 to Elfrida where it becomes Hwy 56. Continue south Hwy 56 to Hwy 3. Cross Hwy 3 where Hwy 56 becomes County Rd 32. Drive down 32 to the Grand river and turn left on County Rd 17 and drive to Dunnville. (DO NOT CROSS THE BRIDGE). Drive south 11km on County Rd 3 (Main Street) until you see the sign at Niece / Lakeshore Roads indicating a right hand (west) turn to the park. Drive along Niece Road past Downey Road to the park entrance on the left. Follow the winding road in the park to the lake. You may be able to obtain a map of the park at the entrance that may help you locate the viewing platform.

If the park is closed, then retrace your route to the first road (Downey Road) east of the entrance, turn right and drive to the end of the road. There is a small parking lot here. Walk into the park from here, bearing left to the lake.

Norm Murr

Richmond Hill, ON

Sils mordent, mords les