[Ontbirds]Long Point Update - Sept 11

Stuart Mackenzie s_a_mackenzie at yahoo.ca
Mon Sep 11 09:40:42 EDT 2006

The LPBO sightings board is updated to September 8.

Highlights this past week include:

Lesser Black-backed Gull
Olive-sided Flycatcher
Connecticut Warbler
Lincoln's Sparrow

On September 10th, 91 species were observed at the Old Cut field station including a hatch-year Acadian Flycatcher, Northern Parula, Orange-crowned Warbler and 12 raptor species including Northern Goshawk and Red-shouldered Hawk.

This morning things are slow but there is a myriad of thrushes, mostly Swainson's with the first rush of Gray-cheeks.

Good birding,

Stu

Stuart A. Mackenzie
Long Point Bird Observatory Program Coordinator
C/O Bird Studies Canada
P.O. Box 160, 115 Front Rd
Port Rowan, ON N0E 1M0
519 586 3531 ext. 231 Bird Studies Canada Headquarters
519 586 2885 Old Cut Field Station
519 820 6040 Cell
519 586 3532 Fax
e-mail lpbo at bsc-eoc.org
s_a_mackenzie at yahoo.ca

LPBO is situated on       the north shore of Lake Erie, in Canada.  From Highway 401 or Highway 3, come south       on Highway 59 to the north shore of Lake Erie. BSC's National Headquarters       is situated at 115 Front St. in Port Rowan.  From Highway 59 south,       turn east on Regional Rd 42 (Front St) and drive 400 metres to our       building on the south side of the road.  LPBO's Old Cut Field Station       is on Old Cut Blvd. on Long Point, just       two streets before Highway 59 ends at Long Point Provincial Park. We are the 6th building       on the right as you head north on Old Cut Blvd. from Highway 59. There is a small sign on       the front lawn. You can park across the road in the Ministry of Natural Resources boat       launch parking lot. We're open to the public during spring and fall migration (from April       to mid June and early August to mid November, respectively). The best time to come for a       visit is in the morning, since the bird
 banding program winds up around noon. It's a good       idea to call in advance (519-586-2885).