[Ontbirds]HSR: Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch (14 Sep 2006) 198 Raptors

reports at hawkcount.org reports at hawkcount.org
Thu Sep 14 20:09:38 EDT 2006

Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch
Port Stanley, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 14, 2006

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture               0              0              0
Osprey                       1             89             89
Bald Eagle                   0             94             94
Northern Harrier             9            415            415
Sharp-shinned Hawk         118           1214           1214
Cooper's Hawk                0             10             10
Northern Goshawk             0              0              0
Red-shouldered Hawk          0              0              0
Broad-winged Hawk           50           1001           1001
Red-tailed Hawk             14             51             51
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              0              0
American Kestrel             6           1254           1254
Merlin                       0             75             75
Peregrine Falcon             0              2              2
Unknown                                    14             14

Total:                     198           4219           4219

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end   time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Dave Brown

Observers:        Colin Horstead, Keith Sealy, Tom Thomas

Visitors:
A few visitors today who were all a big help with spotting the birds.

Weather:
Drab overcast day with light N to NE winds and temp to 20C. At one point
the clouds broke allowing a bit of sun through and immediately we had a
couple of small kettles of Broadwings and Sharpies. Then the sun went back
behind heavy cloud and the flight basically stopped dead.

Raptor Observations:
We did manage a respectible count today with a total of 198 birds including
50 Broadwings and 118 Sharpies. The interesting thing about today's flight
was that it was a reverse migration from West to East....something we've
hardly ever seen at the Hawk Cliff hawkwatch.

Non-raptor Observations:
Also very unusual was finding a pair of nesting Scarlet Tanager
(yep...that's right...nesting!!) with at least one young (close to
fledging by all appearances) visible on the nest through the scopes.  Of
course at this point the male has molted to be entirely green with black
wings...talk about cutting it close for "late" nesting!! If anyone has any
comments on such a late nesting or any other cases like this I'd like to
hear them...just email me (Dave Brown) at thebrowns at ezlink.on.ca

Predictions:
Friday could be a VERY interesting day...with moderate to light NE to N
winds and sun with cloud.  We're approaching the peak date (Sept 17) for
Broadwings to move through...and Friday certainly is shaping up to fit the
bill...especially after bascially 4 days of wet crappy weather.
Report submitted by Dave Brown (thebrowns at ezlink.on.ca)
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch information may be found at:
http://www.ezlink.on.ca/~thebrowns/HawkCliff/index.htm

Site Description:
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch:
Oldest Hawkwatch in Ontario - since 1931 - located just east of Port
Stanley on the cliff overlooking Lake Erie

Directions to site:
>From east 401, take the Highbury south cut off at London, follow Highbury
(Hwy 30) south to St. Thomas. Highbury changes into South Edgeware at a
large curve in the road to the west. Follow South Edgeware west to the
first set of traffic lights - Burwell Road, turn left (south) and stay on
this road. It becomes Fairview Ave (Regional Road 22), which runs directly
into Hawk Cliff Road. You will see a sign for Hawkes Cliff Farm, where they
sell fresh vegetables and a gravel road just beyond sign. Just continue
down gravel road to viewing area.

>From west 401, take the Highway # 4 (Colonel Talbot Rd.) exit south,
through Talbotville, road now is Sunset Rd. continue towards St. Thomas;
you will come to a veer in the road, straight up to St. Thomas, veer to
the right for Port Stanley, follow Highway 4, now Sunset to Port Stanley.
As you approach Port Stanley you will come to a large curve  in the road
with a sign saying East St, to the left. Take East St., and follow it to
the first road left, (opposite Port Stanley Water Tower) Dexter Line.
Follow Dexter Line approximately 2 km. and turn right down gravel road at
Hawkes Cliff Farm, and follow gravel road to viewing area