[Ontbirds] white-crowned sparrow, several warblers and vireos , black-crowned night heron, w migrating raptors at Cranberry Sep.16

Doug Lockrey lockrey33 at rogers.com
Sat Sep 16 15:03:41 EDT 2006

Very mild/windless overcast morning at the Cranberry Marsh RW; rising BP, 24C; TUV=1. I found myself scurrying between the superb Thickson Festival and CMRW.

Observations made by 5 observers over 3 hours-Sep.16
Observation time--9am to 11am, 12noon to 1pm
Counter--Doug Lockrey
Observers-- Dan Kaczynski, Jim McKnight, Alf Lisk, Doug McColl

Non-raptors--Warblers--black-throated green, magnolia,  yellow-rumped, Tennessee, Wilson's, C.Yellowthroat, Am. Redstart among others; marsh wren, catbird, many Hummingbirds, Wilson's Snipe, Lesser Yellowlegs,  Catbird, WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, VIREOS-Red-eyed, Warbling, Blue-headed; YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER, Rose-breasted Grosbeak; imm. BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERON
                                      Day's Count    TOTAL
Turkey Vulture                        0               17
Osprey                                    2              92
Bald Eagle                             0               23
N. Harrier                                0               51
Sharp-shinned                      6             369
Cooper's                                 0               12
Northern Goshawk                  0               0
Red-shouldered                      0                3
Broad-winged                         0               58
Red-tailed                               0              117
Rough-legged                        0                 0
Golden Eagle                           0               0
American Kestrel                  5               195
Merlin                                       0                9
Peregrine                                0                 1
Unidentified                            0                16
TOTAL                                   13           1033

>From the west--Exit 401 at Salem Rd. in Ajax, south to Bayly, east through Lakeridge Rd., one block to Hall's Rd., south towards the lake, parking at the entrance to the south pathway.
>From the east--Exit 401 at Brock St. in Whitby, south to Victoria, west past the Lynde C.A. parking lot to Hall's Rd.--

Doug Lockrey, Whitby, ON