[Ontbirds] Buff-breasted Sandpiper, Golden and Black-bellied Plovers - Beeton Sod Farms

RON FLEMING flemingron at rogers.com
Sun Sep 17 14:36:47 EDT 2006

Further to John Schmelefske's comments, most of these birds were still present at noon just west of house #5670, on the north side of Concession 10.  I found only 10 Am. Golden Plovers at that time, but the Buff-breasted Sandpiper was still present, plus John's two Least Sandpipers as well as 3 Semipals.  There were also two Semipalmated Plovers.  American Pipits numbered 50+ and looked great at close range: dark adults and first winter birds showing white chins and long "necklaces" of extensive streaking.  There were a few Horned Larks, Savannah Sparrows, and two Vesper Sparrows present as well.

  These birds were all within 100 metres of the road when I was there, so scope viewing was excellent.  Note that farm machinery spooks them from time to time, so they move around a bit.  The south side of the road east of #5670 is also worth checking out.  Amidst the 150 or so Killdeer there were some plovers in the far back.  I could not be sure from that distance if they were Black-bellies or Goldens and finally gave up waiting for them to fly (which would have allowed me to check for black axillaries).

  Ron Fleming, Newmarket

John Schmelefske <j.schm at sympatico.ca> wrote:
  The Beetion Sod Farms had the following this morning:

1 Buff-breasted Sandpiper
30 + American Golden Plovers, Juveniles
2 Black-bellied Plovers
2 Least Sandpipers
Numerous American Pipets and Horned Lark
1 Northern Harrier

Directions:

>From Highway 400 take Highway 88 west to Bond Head. Turn right (north)
at the lights. The next set of lights is the Beeton Road. Turn left
(west)and head toward Beeton. Turn north on the 15th sideroad and go
north 2 concessions to the 10th conc. Turn left (west) and go aprox.
1.3 km. The birds were on the north side.
ONTBIRDS is presented by the Ontario Field Ornithologists - the provincial birding organization.