[Ontbirds]HSR: Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch (26 Sep 2006) 11266 Raptors

reports at hawkcount.org reports at hawkcount.org
Tue Sep 26 20:09:43 EDT 2006

Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch
Port Stanley, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 26, 2006

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture              40             83             83
Osprey                      12            204            204
Bald Eagle                  13            187            187
Northern Harrier            36            696            696
Sharp-shinned Hawk         533           4213           4213
Cooper's Hawk               17             78             78
Northern Goshawk             1              1              1
Red-shouldered Hawk          2              2              2
Broad-winged Hawk        10460          40551          40551
Red-tailed Hawk              7             70             70
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              0              0
American Kestrel           133           3901           3901
Merlin                       6            146            146
Peregrine Falcon             6             38             38
Unknown                                    24             24

Total:                   11266          50194          50194

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end   time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Dave Brown

Observers:        Alf Rider, Dave Verkley, Jan Niewiadomski, Keith Sealy,
                  Mac McAlpine, Mike Kirchin

Visitors:
Quite a few visitors again today.

Weather:
With light W winds we weren't sure what we were going to get today...but
then the winds swung a bit SW...temp to 17C. Ended up with a large flight
of Broadwings!!! Along with other good species numbers.

Raptor Observations:
A total of 11,266 birds counted today!!! We were very surprised to see such
a large flight of Broadwings...we had figured that last Thursday's big day
was the last push for this fall...I guess we were wrong. :)

More Peregines as well with 6 and a good count of Sharpies with 533. Alos
got our first Northern Goshawk of the season and our first couple of
Red-shouldered Hawks.

Non-raptor Observations:

Predictions:
Watch for STRONG SW winds for Wednesday...could be a very good flight of
Peregrines right along the cliff!!
Report submitted by Dave Brown (thebrowns at ezlink.on.ca)
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch information may be found at:
http://www.ezlink.on.ca/~thebrowns/HawkCliff/index.htm

Site Description:
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch:
Oldest Hawkwatch in Ontario - since 1931 - located just east of Port
Stanley on the cliff overlooking Lake Erie

Directions to site:
>From east 401, take the Highbury south cut off at London, follow Highbury
(Hwy 30) south to St. Thomas. Highbury changes into South Edgeware at a
large curve in the road to the west. Follow South Edgeware west to the
first set of traffic lights - Burwell Road, turn left (south) and stay on
this road. It becomes Fairview Ave (Regional Road 22), which runs directly
into Hawk Cliff Road. You will see a sign for Hawkes Cliff Farm, where they
sell fresh vegetables and a gravel road just beyond sign. Just continue
down gravel road to viewing area.

>From west 401, take the Highway # 4 (Colonel Talbot Rd.) exit south,
through Talbotville, road now is Sunset Rd. continue towards St. Thomas;
you will come to a veer in the road, straight up to St. Thomas, veer to
the right for Port Stanley, follow Highway 4, now Sunset to Port Stanley.
As you approach Port Stanley you will come to a large curve  in the road
with a sign saying East St, to the left. Take East St., and follow it to
the first road left, (opposite Port Stanley Water Tower) Dexter Line.
Follow Dexter Line approximately 2 km. and turn right down gravel road at
Hawkes Cliff Farm, and follow gravel road to viewing area