[Ontbirds]HSR: Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch (02 Oct 2006) 291 Raptors

reports at hawkcount.org reports at hawkcount.org
Wed Oct 4 00:10:16 EDT 2006

Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch
Port Stanley, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Oct 02, 2006

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture               5           1733           2824
Osprey                      12             25            242
Bald Eagle                   6             34            249
Northern Harrier            31            134           1085
Sharp-shinned Hawk         160           1525           7184
Cooper's Hawk               18             57            209
Northern Goshawk             0              2             10
Red-shouldered Hawk          0              2              9
Broad-winged Hawk            0            895          42880
Red-tailed Hawk              0             42            174
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              0              0
American Kestrel            56            408           4806
Merlin                       3              6            192
Peregrine Falcon             0              9             86
Unknown                                     1             26

Total:                     291           4873          59976

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end   time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Dave Brown

Observers:        Bill Smith, Don Taylor, Ed Taylor, Ernie Gribble,
                  Keith Sealy, Mike Street

Visitors:
Our thanks to Mike Street and Bill Smith who joined us for a few hours
today to help with the count. (unfortunately the Peregrines didn't
cooperate for them!!)

Weather:
Winds were fairly light from the SW then going mostly S and eventually back
to SW. Lots of cloud cover for the day and temp to 18C.

Raptor Observations:
Not a bad flight with 291 birds counted. Some nice looks at Ospreys as they
cruised along just above the cliff edge...and many Harriers hunting the
field right in front of the counters providing some great photo ops.
However, not a single Peregrine today...which is unusual given the wind
direction and the fact that this is primetime for them to be moving
through.

Non-raptor Observations:

Predictions:
Thursday and Friday are looking very good right now if the predicted
moderate NE winds and clear sunny weather holds. We're due for the first
Golden Eagle of the season and there still should be quite a few
Peregrines to come.
Report submitted by Dave Brown (thebrowns at ezlink.on.ca)
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch information may be found at:
http://www.ezlink.on.ca/~thebrowns/HawkCliff/index.htm

Site Description:
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch:
Oldest Hawkwatch in Ontario - since 1931 - located just east of Port
Stanley on the cliff overlooking Lake Erie

Directions to site:
>From east 401, take the Highbury south cut off at London, follow Highbury
(Hwy 30) south to St. Thomas. Highbury changes into South Edgeware at a
large curve in the road to the west. Follow South Edgeware west to the
first set of traffic lights - Burwell Road, turn left (south) and stay on
this road. It becomes Fairview Ave (Regional Road 22), which runs directly
into Hawk Cliff Road. You will see a sign for Hawkes Cliff Farm, where they
sell fresh vegetables and a gravel road just beyond sign. Just continue
down gravel road to viewing area.

>From west 401, take the Highway # 4 (Colonel Talbot Rd.) exit south,
through Talbotville, road now is Sunset Rd. continue towards St. Thomas;
you will come to a veer in the road, straight up to St. Thomas, veer to
the right for Port Stanley, follow Highway 4, now Sunset to Port Stanley.
As you approach Port Stanley you will come to a large curve  in the road
with a sign saying East St, to the left. Take East St., and follow it to
the first road left, (opposite Port Stanley Water Tower) Dexter Line.
Follow Dexter Line approximately 2 km. and turn right down gravel road at
Hawkes Cliff Farm, and follow gravel road to viewing area