[Ontbirds]HSR: Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch (05 Oct 2006) 2883 Raptors

reports at hawkcount.org reports at hawkcount.org
Thu Oct 5 20:10:30 EDT 2006

Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch
Port Stanley, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Oct 05, 2006

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture            1586           3515           4606
Osprey                       7             34            251
Bald Eagle                  19             56            271
Northern Harrier            92            231           1182
Sharp-shinned Hawk         473           2086           7745
Cooper's Hawk               46            114            266
Northern Goshawk             6              8             16
Red-shouldered Hawk         12             14             21
Broad-winged Hawk          168           1079          43064
Red-tailed Hawk            367            416            548
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              0              0
American Kestrel           105            536           4934
Merlin                       2              8            194
Peregrine Falcon             0             10             87
Unknown                                     1             26

Total:                    2883           8108          63211

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end   time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 10 hours

Official Counter: Dave Brown

Observers:        Colin Horstead, Dave Sked, Don Campbell, Don Taylor,
                  Keith Sealy, Mac McAlpine, Tom Thomas

Visitors:
Lots of visitors today to help with the spotting...too many to mention
here...but we've got everyone included in our guest book. :)

Weather:
A great hawkwatching day as predicted...with strong NE winds steady all day
and lots of sunshine.  The only downside was the lack of cloud cover in the
middle of the day...then cloud returning later in the afternoon. Temp was
much cooler today starting out at 4C and only getting up to 12C...although
it felt much colder in the wind.

Raptor Observations:
An excellent flight today with a total of 2,883 raptors tallied of 12
different species.  Highlights were 19 Bald Eagles, 92 Northern Harriers,
12 Red-shouldered Hawks and decent 367 Red-tailed Hawks. There were
actually another 168 Broadwings today but no Peregrines.

Non-raptor Observations:
We all got a good look at a juvenile Red-headed Woodpecker that landed in
the "Merlin Tree" right behind the count area. Still some warblers around
with Orange-crowned, Yellow-rumped, Nashville and Palm...along with
Blue-headed Vireo, Eastern Bluebird (several), Brown Creeper and
Red-breasted Nuthatch.

Predictions:
Friday should prove even better than today...hopefully with a bit more
cloud cover. Prediction is for strong NE winds again which should help
concentrate the birds along the lakeshore...BUT they'll tend to be
higher!!
Report submitted by Dave Brown (thebrowns at ezlink.on.ca)
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch information may be found at:
http://www.ezlink.on.ca/~thebrowns/HawkCliff/index.htm

Site Description:
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch:
Oldest Hawkwatch in Ontario - since 1931 - located just east of Port
Stanley on the cliff overlooking Lake Erie

Directions to site:
>From east 401, take the Highbury south cut off at London, follow Highbury
(Hwy 30) south to St. Thomas. Highbury changes into South Edgeware at a
large curve in the road to the west. Follow South Edgeware west to the
first set of traffic lights - Burwell Road, turn left (south) and stay on
this road. It becomes Fairview Ave (Regional Road 22), which runs directly
into Hawk Cliff Road. You will see a sign for Hawkes Cliff Farm, where they
sell fresh vegetables and a gravel road just beyond sign. Just continue
down gravel road to viewing area.

>From west 401, take the Highway # 4 (Colonel Talbot Rd.) exit south,
through Talbotville, road now is Sunset Rd. continue towards St. Thomas;
you will come to a veer in the road, straight up to St. Thomas, veer to
the right for Port Stanley, follow Highway 4, now Sunset to Port Stanley.
As you approach Port Stanley you will come to a large curve  in the road
with a sign saying East St, to the left. Take East St., and follow it to
the first road left, (opposite Port Stanley Water Tower) Dexter Line.
Follow Dexter Line approximately 2 km. and turn right down gravel road at
Hawkes Cliff Farm, and follow gravel road to viewing area