[Ontbirds]Cattle Egret east of Ottawa

Elsa Suárez & Paul Matthews mattpau at mondenet.com
Sat Oct 7 11:01:06 EDT 2006

Just thought I'd mention (my apologies that it's belatedly) that yesterday (Friday) the Cattle Egret near the Casselman sewage lagoons spent some time on the "bank" of the southermost lagoon--the more rectangular one. If it's not at its usual spot in the field with the horses make sure you walk the lagoons as it was somewhat hidden in this location. Other species not mentioned by Chris Lewis in her recent posting were two female Bufflehead and a late Common Moorhen.

This was my second visit here in three days. I actually came back to this spot to look for the long-billed dowitcher that had been reported and that I missed the first time, as well as a lens cap for my spotting scope that I presumably lost here during my first visit. No luck with either dowitcher or lens cap. As I'd had fine views of the egret the first time and was focussed on dowitcher and lens cap, I didn't even raise binoculars to look at the egret when I first spotted it in the fields with the horses to the north. Presumably it took offense, as some time later it came winging straight towards me, flew a circle or two around me, and landed not far away on the bank of the southermost lagoon. I guess it was saying: hey, I'm the rarity here, look at me!

If someone found the lens cap to my Zeiss scope, an unadorned half-cylinder made of rubbery plastic, I'd be grateful if they could let me know. Thanks.

Paul Matthews, Ottawa

Directions (from Chris Lewis's message):

DIRECTIONS: (*NOTE - THESE SEWAGE LAGOONS ARE DESIGNATED AS PRIVATE
PROPERTY, SO IF YOU CHOOSE TO VISIT EITHER LOCATION, PLEASE BE DISCREET AND
RECOGNIZE THAT THESE ARE MUNICIPAL FACILITIES.

CASSELMAN - Take Hwy 417 east from Ottawa to exit 66 (watch out for
construction and some tricky lane closures from the Embrun though the
Casselman exits!)  At exit 66 turn left (north) and proceed past the Tim
Horton's and the RR tracks. Take Laurier St. (the 2nd right after the RR
tracks) and follow it until you reach Rte 500. Turn right onto Rte. 500. The
laneway to the lagoons comes up immediately on your right.  The property of
Marc Denis (the owner of the farm on which the egret has been enjoying its
sojourn) is at #545 Rte 500.  As previously mentioned, there is no need to
enter the property to see the bird, but Mr. Denis is birder-friendly and if
you check with him at his home he is evidently happy to let people onto his
property until Sat. Oct. 7th).