[Ontbirds]Hamilton / Burlington field trip

Thomas tthomas at cogeco.ca
Sun Oct 8 11:23:58 EDT 2006

On Saturday October 7th. 2006.twenty one birders attended the O.F.O's.
Hamilton / Burlington field trip.
          It was a glorious early Fall day, and as it usually happens, the
better the weather, it seems there are fewer birds to be seen.
            We spent the first hour or so, at Van Wagner's Beach, where we
spotted a single Bonaparte's Gull among the Ring-billed Gulls on the
shore-line. Further out there were White-winged Scoters, Surf Scoters, and
as Dave Milsom was scoping a raft of Scaup, a Pomerine Jaeger passed in
front of him chasing after a Gull.
         The trails and marshes behind Hutches again yielded less than the
expected species, but we were rewarded with great close up looks at Hermit
Thrushes, the only birds along with White-throated Sparrows, Ruby-crowned
Kinglets and Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers to be seen in good numbers.
 After lunch we moved along the lakeshore to Shoreacres Park. Birds at
Shoreacres proved to be just as elusive, but this was more than made up with
the sight of over sixty Red-necked Grebes just off shore.
          The last stop of the day was at Shell Park, where again the Summer
like conditions were not ideal for finding Fall Birds, but we did add a few
more species to our total list.
        At the end of the day we totalled just over fifty species, not
great, but it was great to be out on such a perfect day, and testing your
bird finding skills to the limit.
           Best regards...............Tom.