[Ontbirds]HSR: Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch (23 Oct 2006) 906 Raptors

reports at hawkcount.org reports at hawkcount.org
Mon Oct 23 15:10:03 EDT 2006

Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch
Port Stanley, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Oct 23, 2006

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture             755          18042          19133
Osprey                       1             54            271
Bald Eagle                   0             86            301
Northern Harrier             8            457           1408
Sharp-shinned Hawk         125           5287          10946
Cooper's Hawk                6            215            367
Northern Goshawk             0             22             30
Red-shouldered Hawk          0             41             48
Broad-winged Hawk            0           1095          43080
Red-tailed Hawk              9            796            928
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              3              3
American Kestrel             0            629           5027
Merlin                       2             32            218
Peregrine Falcon             0             24            101
Unknown                                     5             30
Swainson's Hawk              0              1              1

Total:                     906          26789          81892

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end   time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 5 hours

Official Counter: Dave Brown

Observers:        Shay Redmond

Visitors:
A few folks stopped by today...including a couple from Australia who were
over to visit friends in the area.

Weather:
Bit of the wet stuff first thing this morning...then the cloud deck raised
and birds started to move. Solid cloud for the day with temp to just 4C
(felt cooler with the windchill). Winds were moderate from the W and WNW
for the day.

Raptor Observations:
A reasonably good flight today with a total of 906 birds...majority were
again TV's with 755. A couple of nice Merlins right overhead. A couple of
highlights included both an Osprey (likely the same one that's been around
for the past week) AND an adult Bald Eagle both caught fish (Coy) from a
farmers pond straight out in front of the count area and did flybys to
show off their prizes.

Non-raptor Observations:
Spotted several loons flying past today...with one group of 7 flying as a
fairly tight flock...possibly Red-throated Loons...also still saw Tree
Swallows, Pipits, Killdeer, Tundra Swans and (from yesterday) Shay
reported a Ruby-throated Hummingbird at the Cliff.

Predictions:
Strong NW winds are predicted (this is good!!) but we'll have to see
whether or not it rains (this would be bad!!). Let's hope for some
sunshine. :)
Report submitted by Dave Brown (thebrowns at ezlink.on.ca)
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch information may be found at:
http://www.ezlink.on.ca/~thebrowns/HawkCliff/index.htm

Site Description:
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch:
Oldest Hawkwatch in Ontario - since 1931 - located just east of Port
Stanley on the cliff overlooking Lake Erie

Directions to site:
>From east 401, take the Highbury south cut off at London, follow Highbury
(Hwy 30) south to St. Thomas. Highbury changes into South Edgeware at a
large curve in the road to the west. Follow South Edgeware west to the
first set of traffic lights - Burwell Road, turn left (south) and stay on
this road. It becomes Fairview Ave (Regional Road 22), which runs directly
into Hawk Cliff Road. You will see a sign for Hawkes Cliff Farm, where they
sell fresh vegetables and a gravel road just beyond sign. Just continue
down gravel road to viewing area.

>From west 401, take the Highway # 4 (Colonel Talbot Rd.) exit south,
through Talbotville, road now is Sunset Rd. continue towards St. Thomas;
you will come to a veer in the road, straight up to St. Thomas, veer to
the right for Port Stanley, follow Highway 4, now Sunset to Port Stanley.
As you approach Port Stanley you will come to a large curve  in the road
with a sign saying East St, to the left. Take East St., and follow it to
the first road left, (opposite Port Stanley Water Tower) Dexter Line.
Follow Dexter Line approximately 2 km. and turn right down gravel road at
Hawkes Cliff Farm, and follow gravel road to viewing area