[Ontbirds]HSR: Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch (24 Oct 2006) 4509 Raptors

reports at hawkcount.org reports at hawkcount.org
Tue Oct 24 18:10:21 EDT 2006

Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch
Port Stanley, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Oct 24, 2006

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture            2645          20687          21778
Osprey                       0             54            271
Bald Eagle                   7             93            308
Northern Harrier            71            528           1479
Sharp-shinned Hawk        1688           6975          12634
Cooper's Hawk               28            243            395
Northern Goshawk             0             22             30
Red-shouldered Hawk          8             49             56
Broad-winged Hawk            0           1095          43080
Red-tailed Hawk             35            831            963
Rough-legged Hawk            3              3              3
Golden Eagle                12             15             15
American Kestrel            11            640           5038
Merlin                       1             33            219
Peregrine Falcon             0             24            101
Unknown                                     5             30
Swainson's Hawk              0              1              1

Total:                    4509          31298          86401

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end   time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Dave Brown

Observers:        Bill Smith, Faye Socholotiuk, Keith Sealy, Mike Street,
                  Shay Redmond

Visitors:
Just a few visitors today ...Faye & Joanne Socholotiuk and Gillian...along
with some diehards including Keith Sealy, Mike Street, Bill Smith, Shay
Redmond and Ed Miller.

Weather:
What is there to say about this weather....besides ROTTEN!!! Today the lake
effect machine kicked in from Lake Huron all the way across to right on top
of us at Hawk Cliff.  We had a mix of wet snow and rain on and off for the
entire day. Meanwhile, not 5 miles to the east the sky was often bright
and sunny. Temp was very cool starting out at 1C and reaching just 7C...
with the NW winds creating somewhat of a windchill.

Raptor Observations:
Well...despite the weather (or perhaps because of it!!) the birds still
decided to fly today.

It was quite a sight with the flight height rarely exceeding 30m.
Highlights were (FINALLY!!!) a nice count of Golden Eagles with 12...and
every one of them ON THE DECK  (often not even as high as the trees). In
all the years of helping at Hawk Cliff I don't think I've ever seen Golden
Eagles this close...we certainly got some great looks at them. They were a
real mix of ages with several being juveniles, a few sub-adults and just
one adult.

The other highlight for today was our first Rough-legged Hawks...2 Light
Morph and 1 Dark Morph. We're still not seeing many buteos this week
...though our Redtail numbers are pretty much on track compared to
previous years our Red-shouldered Hawk numbers are quite low.

Non-raptor Observations:
Had what appeared to be a "Blue-phase" Snow Goose with a small flock of
Canada Geese. A Kingfisher was heard then spotted passing the hawkwatch
along with a couple of Red-bellied Woodpeckers.

Predictions:
Wednesday may prove to be another excellent flight... There's been a lot of
very poor weather for several days...and it's possile we might see a big
push again tomorrow....if we can catch a break from any sort of persistent
rain!! Winds are predicted to be NW and fairly strong which will help
concentrate the birds toward the lake and keep them lower.
Report submitted by Dave Brown (thebrowns at ezlink.on.ca)
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch information may be found at:
http://www.ezlink.on.ca/~thebrowns/HawkCliff/index.htm

Site Description:
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch:
Oldest Hawkwatch in Ontario - since 1931 - located just east of Port
Stanley on the cliff overlooking Lake Erie

Directions to site:
>From east 401, take the Highbury south cut off at London, follow Highbury
(Hwy 30) south to St. Thomas. Highbury changes into South Edgeware at a
large curve in the road to the west. Follow South Edgeware west to the
first set of traffic lights - Burwell Road, turn left (south) and stay on
this road. It becomes Fairview Ave (Regional Road 22), which runs directly
into Hawk Cliff Road. You will see a sign for Hawkes Cliff Farm, where they
sell fresh vegetables and a gravel road just beyond sign. Just continue
down gravel road to viewing area.

>From west 401, take the Highway # 4 (Colonel Talbot Rd.) exit south,
through Talbotville, road now is Sunset Rd. continue towards St. Thomas;
you will come to a veer in the road, straight up to St. Thomas, veer to
the right for Port Stanley, follow Highway 4, now Sunset to Port Stanley.
As you approach Port Stanley you will come to a large curve  in the road
with a sign saying East St, to the left. Take East St., and follow it to
the first road left, (opposite Port Stanley Water Tower) Dexter Line.
Follow Dexter Line approximately 2 km. and turn right down gravel road at
Hawkes Cliff Farm, and follow gravel road to viewing area