[Ontbirds] late Hummingbird, 2 foxes, blue-headed vireo AND 2 GOLDEN EAGLES among 270 migrating raptors-Cranberry--Oct.26

Doug Lockrey lockrey33 at rogers.com
Thu Oct 26 15:52:41 EDT 2006

The mild N-NW winds and blue sky were not the best for a raptor flight, let
alone make it easy to spot the birds. However, I am grateful for the large
numbers of observers coming to help withe data-collecting. By mid-AM the
Red-shouldereds and Red-taileds started to come across, along with 2 very
distant GOLDEN EAGLES.

Observations made by 15 observers over 6 hours-Oct.26
Counters--Dan Kaczynski, Jim Munroe, Gerry Ball, Doug Lockrey
Observers-- Jim Fairchild, Eleanor Wellman, Bettina Murphy, Joyce
Collier-Brown, John Stirrat and several others
Raptor highlights--19 Red-shouldereds, 107 Red-tailed, 1 Rough-legged, 2
Golden Eagle

IN THE LATE AFTERNOON A MERLIN CAME LOW ACROSS THE WETLANDS AND CIRCLED OUR
MOUNTED OWL.
Non-raptors--Warblers--Wilson's Snipe, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Blue-headed
Vireo, a late R-t Hummingbird, Eastern Kingbird, both Kinglets, our first
Am. TREE SPARROW (winter is here!!!), Hermit thrush.
2 FOXES were seen at 0730 out near the roadway.

                                      Day's Count    TOTAL
Turkey Vulture                        88           2223
Osprey                                   0              158
Bald Eagle                             0               55
N. Harrier                                7               189
Sharp-shinned                      37           1728
Cooper's                                 3               147
Northern Goshawk                  0               15
Red-shouldered                     19               54
Broad-winged                         0               974
Red-tailed                              107              633
Rough-legged                        1                 3
Golden Eagle                           2               4
American Kestrel                  2               659
Merlin                                       2                28
Peregrine                                1                 115
Unidentified                            1                96
TOTAL                                   270          6984

>From the west--Exit 401 at Salem Rd. in Ajax, south to Bayly, east through
Lakeridge Rd., one block to Hall's Rd., south towards the lake, parking at
the entrance to the south pathway.
>From the east--Exit 401 at Brock St. in Whitby, south to Victoria, west past
the Lynde C.A. parking lot to Hall's Rd.--

Doug Lockrey, Whitby, ON
birding organization.
For instructions to join or leave ONTBIRDS visit
http://www.ofo.ca/ontbirdshow.htm
ONTBIRDS Guidelines may be viewed at http://www.ofo.ca/ontbirdsguide.htm