[Ontbirds]HSR: Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch (26 Oct 2006) 1953 Raptors

reports at hawkcount.org reports at hawkcount.org
Sat Oct 28 02:10:16 EDT 2006

Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch
Port Stanley, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Oct 26, 2006

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture             552          23155          24246
Osprey                       1             56            273
Bald Eagle                   3            104            319
Northern Harrier            60            715           1666
Sharp-shinned Hawk         251           8880          14539
Cooper's Hawk               30            369            521
Northern Goshawk             5             31             39
Red-shouldered Hawk        322            423            430
Broad-winged Hawk            0           1098          43083
Red-tailed Hawk            704           1775           1907
Rough-legged Hawk            2             12             12
Golden Eagle                15             34             34
American Kestrel             3            666           5064
Merlin                       0             38            224
Peregrine Falcon             0             24            101
Unknown                      4              9             34
Swainson's Hawk              1              2              2

Total:                    1953          37391          92494

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end   time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Colin Horstead

Observers:        Daniel Ansari, Darryl Dunsby, Dave Brown, Ernie Gribble,
                  Keith Sealy, Mac McAlpine, Shay Redmond, Tom Thomas

Visitors:
A few folks out again today...thanks to everyone that joined us for some
great Golden Eagle watching. :)

Weather:
Not a bad day...still pretty much solid cloud and slightly higher temp to
12C. No wind to start the day as the high moved into the
region...eventually a very light wind from the E and then S.

Raptor Observations:
Another good flight today with 1953 birds tallied of 13 different species.
Highlight today was the 15 Golden Eagles!!...along with what we identified
as a Dark Morph Swainson's Hawk (12:50 EST) seen directly overhead by all
observers...(including 3 of us with our scopes). This appeared to be a
juvenile bird based on the plumage. I sketched the bird and verified with
the other observers the key field marks. Also some photos were
taken...although the distance and position directly overhead made for a
tough shot. Intent is to submit an ORBC report.

Non-raptor Observations:

Report submitted by Dave Brown (thebrowns at ezlink.on.ca)
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch information may be found at:
http://www.ezlink.on.ca/~thebrowns/HawkCliff/index.htm

Site Description:
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch:
Oldest Hawkwatch in Ontario - since 1931 - located just east of Port
Stanley on the cliff overlooking Lake Erie

Directions to site:
>From east 401, take the Highbury south cut off at London, follow Highbury
(Hwy 30) south to St. Thomas. Highbury changes into South Edgeware at a
large curve in the road to the west. Follow South Edgeware west to the
first set of traffic lights - Burwell Road, turn left (south) and stay on
this road. It becomes Fairview Ave (Regional Road 22), which runs directly
into Hawk Cliff Road. You will see a sign for Hawkes Cliff Farm, where they
sell fresh vegetables and a gravel road just beyond sign. Just continue
down gravel road to viewing area.

>From west 401, take the Highway # 4 (Colonel Talbot Rd.) exit south,
through Talbotville, road now is Sunset Rd. continue towards St. Thomas;
you will come to a veer in the road, straight up to St. Thomas, veer to
the right for Port Stanley, follow Highway 4, now Sunset to Port Stanley.
As you approach Port Stanley you will come to a large curve  in the road
with a sign saying East St, to the left. Take East St., and follow it to
the first road left, (opposite Port Stanley Water Tower) Dexter Line.
Follow Dexter Line approximately 2 km. and turn right down gravel road at
Hawkes Cliff Farm, and follow gravel road to viewing area