[Ontbirds]Northern Saw Whet & Long Eared Owl's Amherst Island

otoole at kos.net otoole at kos.net
Sat Nov 4 18:23:39 EST 2006

Spent a few hours in Owl Woods today. I almost gave up until I ran into
another birder who was kind enough to show me where the owls were hiding,
thank again for you help. Three Northern Saw Whet's in the White Cedars
near the main White Cedar grove along the trail. At least six Long Eared
owls in the Jack Pine plantation. A Bald Eagle flew directly over owl
woods and once again I was alerted to this by a birder in the area.
Northern Harriers were plentiful in the many fields.

[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y30/KingstonBirder/NSW2.jpg[/IMG]

Directions:  Exit off Hwy. 401 at exit 593 (County Road 4, Camden East)
and drive south to the very end (Millhaven).  Turn right on Hwy. 33 and
drive 100 metres until you see the sign for the Amherst Island ferry. The
ferry (20 minute trip) leaves the mainland on the half hour and leaves the
island on the hour. Cost is $6.00 round trip. There are no gas stations on
the island.
There are restrooms on the ferry, and at the island ferry dock.
The East End K.F.N. property is at the easternmost part of the island on the
east side of the Lower Forty Foot Road.

Paul O'Toole
Kingston Ontario