[Ontbirds]Swallows near Goat Island

Bob Hawkins bhawkins at idirect.com
Tue Nov 7 06:21:56 EST 2006

Sunday morning (November 5)  a flock of 100+ Northern Rough-winged Swallows
circled and "bugged" at the north (upstream) end of Goat Island. They
continued out toward the arched bridges of the Canadian hydro water intake
above the Horseshoe Falls. The  birds were actively feeding although we saw
few insects.  Many of the birds were flying all around us and immediately
above our heads, making very close-up observation possible. Global warming?

None was observed farther downstream beside Three Sisters Island closer to
the falls.

Goat Island State Park is reached via either a footbridge or a driving
bridge from Niagara Falls, NY (with difficulty through the roadwork).
Birders may  walk from the Canadian side via the Rainbow Bridge.

Bob and Sandra Hawkins