[Ontbirds]Algonquin Birds

Bruce Di Labio bruce.dilabio at sympatico.ca
Tue Nov 7 18:48:45 EST 2006

Hello Ont. Birders,
My tour group had a great morning birding the trails off Highway 60 in
Algonquin Park. Along Arowhon Rd. and the old railroad bed to Wolf Howl
Pond, we had 2 Three-toed Woodpeckers and 2 Black-backed Woodpeckers. A
total of 7 Boreal Chickadees and 6 Gray Jays were observed in the same area.
Finch activity was active, with 250+ Pine Siskin, 150 American Goldfinch,
100+ Purple Finch and both White-winged and Red Crossbill. At Spruce Bog
Trail we found, 2 Gray Jay at the parking lot and a male Spruce Grouse on
the opposite side of the highway.  Along the Lake Opeongo Rd. we observed 2
Gray Jays and at Opeongo Lake there was a late immature Double-crested
Cormorant.
Good Birding
Bruce

Bruce Di Labio