[Ontbirds]redpolls and pine grosbeaks in Timiskaming

The Murphy's birdboy at ntl.sympatico.ca
Wed Dec 6 02:25:10 EST 2006

While not earth shattering I thought I would pass along that this week the
hoards of American goldfinches have been joined by redpolls in some places
in impressive numbers and a few small flocks of pine grosbeaks. A resident
in NewLiskeard reports a flock of 50 plus bohemian waxwings. At my own
feeder a short flight outside of cobalt we are enjoying all of the winter
finches at once siskin’s, purple, redpolls, gold, evening and pines. I
cannot recall ever having all of these species at once before. Looks like
Ron Pittway’s winter finch forecast was bang on the money. This will be my
last report on winter finches from our area as I know it pushes the
indulgence of those looking for rarer fare. Should anyone wish more updates
on these species please feel free to contact me. Sincerely Bruce murphy