[Ontbirds] EASTERN BLUE BIRD on our berry bushes in Backyard by Newcastle

markus lise markus_lise at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 8 12:03:32 EST 2006

Hello Fellow Birders,

Wow!  What a pleasant surprise to view an EASTERN BLUEBIRD in our yard for
the last couple of days.  He was hovering above my fish pond/running falls
and landing on some of the berry bushes enjoying the berries.  What a
delightful experience to have a guest who wears the blue sky on its back and
the warmth of the sun on its breast in this -5 C. weather with the sun
shining and the moon in the western sky at noon hour today.

We have not sighted any Bluebirds here for some time especially during the
winter.  The Bluebird trails seem to be paying off and may be the best hope
for survival, i.e.  long lines of Bluebird houses that have been  put up
along the Lakeshore Rd. towards Port Hope.  The trails may have brought a
local resurgence in Bluebird numbers.  But we need hundreds of additional
trails to be organized and thousands of houses put up before the eastern
Bluebird is truly established.  Only then will all of us be able to delight
in the sweet-singing little bird.

We are being entertained by several other species such as:

RED BELLIED WOODPECKER (F.)
HAIRY WOODPECKER
DOWNY WOODPECKERS
YELLOW SHAFTED NORTHERN FLICKER
WHITE BREASTED NUTHATCH
JUNCOS
WHITE THROATED SPARROW
AMERICAN TREE SPARROW
NORTHERN CARDINALS
MOURNING DOVES
AMERICAN GOLD FINCHES
HOUSE FINCHES
BUFFLEHEADS
COMMON GOLDENEYES
RED BREASTED MERGANSERS
CANADA GEESE (1,000)
MALLARDS (25)

We have started a new Bird Watching Group in Newcastle.  Anyone is free to
join.

Directions:  Take 440 exit off 401 and drive south on Mill St., Newcastle
exit to Bond Head.

Markus J. Lise
Newcastle, On