[Ontbirds]Razorbill at Niagara-on-the-Lake

Rob Dobos rdobos at cogeco.ca
Sat Jan 6 12:43:03 EST 2007

The Razorbill was seen this morning (Jan. 6) at Niagara-on-the-Lake.  Our
group had it at 9:20 am seen from below old Fort Mississauga at the golf
course.  Others had seen it here from just after 8:00 am.  We had the bird
in view about 200 m out at the edge of a band of bluer water with a group of
Bonaparte's Gulls.  This was a bit west of the green marker buoy and a safe
distance from the duck hunter activity.  The bird did not dive during the 15
minutes we viewed it but was slowly swimming west.  The previous group also
indiacted it was consistently in view for about 40 minutes.  Before going
here we spent an hour at the park overlook without seeing the bird.

Directions:  To reach this viewing spot, enter NOTL by Hwy.55 as usual. Turn
right at the golfcourse where Hwy.55 ends, then turn at the first left onto
Simcoe and park at the corner of Simcoe and Front Streets where there are
several good designated parking spots. Cross the golfcourse to the clifftop
then walk left (west) to a gravel path that goes down to the water's edge.
This area also gives good views all the way back to Fort Niagara.

Rob Dobos
rdobos at cogeco.ca