[Ontbirds]Re: ONTBIRDS Digest, Vol 35, Issue 7

Don Sutherland lori.h at sympatico.ca
Sat Jan 6 13:48:42 EST 2007

Hi Ron,

I would have emailed you sooner, but I've been down with the flu (bedridden
most of 4 days) since the 1st. Some more details on the American Three-toed
Woodpeckers that I saw on the count:

1) The first, a female, was about 10-15 m in from the east end of the
snowplow turnaround, just east of the little creek, on the north side of Hwy
60 opposite the northwest end of Jake Lake (UTM: 690406 5048772, NAD83, map
31E/10). At about 0815h I heard it tapping. It wouldn't respond to BDOW
calls or squeaking (though a male BBWO did, coming N across the highway from
the west side of Jake Lake), so I went in after it.

2) The second, a male, was about 10 m in (west) of hydro pole # 'B1 2' on
the Summer HQ/WRS road south of Bat Lake Creek (running out of Davies Bog
into the N Madawaska R) (UTM: 693723 5050424, NAD83, map 31E/10). I had been
looking unsuccessfully for SPGR in the spruce fringe bordering the creek and
Davies Bog and was returning to the road when I heard it tapping. It was
about 2-1/2 m up in a dead stub. There were several other stubs and spruce
trunks nearby which had also been worked over. Has anyone seen SPGR at this
location recently?

For the record: BBWO-1 (male, responded to BDOW calls) came from S at site
#1 (above); BBWO-2 (female, did not respond to BDOW calls, located by
tapping) on Jack Lake portage, ~100m N of Hwy 60 [BDOW at roughly same
location, responded to calls and squeaking, flying in quietly, perching
briefly, before flying off]; BBWO-3 (female, silent, located by tapping),
Two Rivers Hill on N side Hwy 60 opposite hydro pole # '75'; BBWO-4 (male,
responded to BDOW calls/squeaking), Two Rivers Hill on N side Hwy 60
opposite hydro pole # '68'; BBWO-5 (female, silent, heard tapping), ~20 m W
of Trailer Sanitation Station Rd., 230 m N of Hwy 60.

Best wishes to all in the New Year

Cheers,

Don

 s > Message: 3