[Ontbirds]RE: Razorbill at Niagara on the Lake

Earthquest Canada hikersguide at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 7 23:32:57 EST 2007

   Greetings to all searching for the Razorbill:

   Today,  between  4  and  5 pm my wife, Jan and I spotted the Razorbill
   swimming  closely  along the shoreline of Fort Niagara, near the point
   where  the  Niagara  River  meets Lake Ontario.  We did not observe it
   diving,  but  did  have a good size comparison to both Bonaparte's and
   Ring-billed gulls.

   To  get there, turn right from Main Street in Niagara on the Lake onto
   Regent  Street  and  go  to  the end of the street to the stop sign to
   Queen's  Royal  Park.   There  is  a  small parking lot with a gazebo.
   Simply  walk down to the water's edge and look across to Fort Niagara,
   scaning the water's edge for a small stocky dark coloured bird slighly
   smaller  than  a  Ring billed gull.  A scope is definitely required to
   get the details of the plumage.

   Happy birding!
   Dave Jolly,
   Senior Instructor
   EARTHQUEST Biological Field School
   8122 Rogers Rd. S., RR #5
   Aylmer, Ontario
   N5H 2R4
   Tel: (519) 875-3340; Email: earthquestcanada(AT)yahoo.com

   [1]grand prize of $500