[Ontbirds]Kingston Area: Eurasian Wigeon and Red-throated Loon

Bruce Di Labio bruce.dilabio at sympatico.ca
Fri Jan 26 08:17:07 EST 2007

Hello Ontbirders
    Yesterday, January 25th, the male Eurasian Wigeon was still present at
the DuPont Plant/Elevator Bay area. There was still a good variety of water
birds including American Wigeon, Redhead, Ring-necked Duck, Lesser
Scaup,Greater Scaup and American Coot. Two Snowy Owls were observed sitting
on the ice on Elevator Bay.
    On Wolfe Island we observed 60+ Lapland Longspur, 7 Rough-legged Hawk
and 1 Northern Harrier.
    On January 24th, we made a quick late afternoon check of Amherst Island.
There was lots of activity including 5 Snowy Owls on the K.F.N. Property at
the east end, 31 Long-eared Owls, with 15+ in the "Owl Woods" and 23
Short-eared Owls scattered over the island. A few were out hunting in the
afternoon over the east end and along the north entrance road into the "Owl
Woods". Viewing conditions were excellent on Lake Ontario and we observed 1
Red-throated Loon and 2 Common Loon. On our return home we saw 2 male Wood
Ducks just south of Smiths Falls off CR 29 and Purcell Road. There is a
small patch of open water that had a Pied-billed Grebe present till at least
January 15th (Steve Mercer). If you require additional information, please
email me privately.
                                                                good birding
                                                                    Bruce

Directions: Located 18 km. west of Kingston.  Exit off Hwy. 401 at exit
593 (County Rd. 4, Camden East) and drive south to the very end (Millhaven).
 Turn right on Hwy. 33 and drive 100 metres until you see the sign for the
AmherstIsland ferry. The ferry (20 minute trip) leaves the mainland on the
half hour and leaves the island on the hour. Cost is $6.00 Canadian round
trip. There are no gas stations on the island. There are restrooms on
the ferry, and at the island ferry dock.  The East End K.F.N. property
is at the easternmost part of the island on the east side of the Lower
Forty Foot Road.  To reach the Owl Woods, turn left (east) at the
four-way stop sign by the general store and drive 3.4 km along Front Rd.
to the (seasonal) Marshall Forty-Foot Rd.
Marshall Forty-Foot Rd. is across the road from house #2320.  Drive
along Marshall Rd. to the mid-way point, where there is an "S" in the
road (1.2 km, look for the K.F.N. kiosk which had owl observing ethics).
Park in the gravel lane or off the road edge. ( directions courtesy of
Bruce Ripley)

Because of liability issues, visitors to the Kingston Field Naturalists'
property at the east end of Amherst Island MUST be accompanied by a KFN
member. For KFN contact information or how to become a member, please visit
http://kingstonfieldnaturalists.org/ ."

Ferry to Wolfe Island is free and leaves downtown Kingston hourly (check
schedule at
http://www.wolfeisland.com/ferry.php ).  Takes 20 min to cross.

DuPont Plant/Elevator Bay is located on the west side of Kingston along King
Str.

Bruce Di Labio
400 Donald B. Munro Drive
P.O.Box 538