[Ontbirds]Long eared Owls northern harrier hawk Amherst Island

Alison agee9235 at rogers.com
Thu Jan 25 19:00:27 EST 2007

We went birding to Amherst Island today, my first trip, first sighting was a northern harrier hawk, saw many chickadees, a downy woodpecker along the trail who was on tthe feeder, then off to the jack pines at the back of the "Owl Woods" trail to a dense area where we saw many (approx 8-12) long-eard owls, both flying and roosting in the trees, all were very timid but one owl was on "guard duty" and watched us very carefully from above on a high branch.

 Directions: Exit off Hwy. 401 at exit 593 (County Road 4, Camden East)
and drive south to the very end (Millhaven). Turn right on Hwy. 33 and
drive 100 metres until you see the sign for the Amherst Island ferry. The
ferry (20 minute trip) leaves the mainland on the half hour and leaves the
island on the hour. Cost is $6.00 round trip.

Richard and Alison (Bowmanville)  ogeezca at yahoo.ca