[Ontbirds] Eastern Ontario: Double-crested Cormorant,Common Loon and Cackling Geese

Bruce Di Labio bruce.dilabio at sympatico.ca
Sun Jan 28 20:18:36 EST 2007

Hello Ontbirds
    Spent the day birding along the St. Lawrence River from Cornwall to
Prescott. Overall it was an good day with a number of interesting birds. In
the Cornwall area, 1 Double-crested Cormorant, 4 Common Loon, 2 adult Bald
Eagle and  2 Cackling Geese were found. In the waterfowl category, 1,104
Common Goldeneye, 798 Common Merganser, 949 Mallard, 285 Canada Geese, 30
Am.Black Duck, 4 Red-breasted Merganser and 1 male Hooded Merganser were
sighted between Cornwall and Prescott.
    Near Johnstown, a Belted Kingfisher was observed feeding in a small
patch of open water. Earlier in the morning we made a brief stop in the
Casselman/Ste. Rose area and observed 4 Snowy Owl and 100+ Lapland Longspur.
                                                        good birding,
                                                            Bruce
Directions: The Cornwall Power Dam is located just west of the town of
Cornwall off Power Dam Road.
Directions: Ste.Rose: From Hwy 417 east of Casselman take exit 58 and
proceed north
 on Cty Rd 8 until you come to Concession 20 Rd . Turn right (east) on
Concession 20 Rd. which is between and Conc. Rd 19 (north) and Conc. Rd 21
(south).
If you require additional information, please email me privately.

Bruce Di Labio
400 Donald B. Munro Drive
P.O.Box 538
Carp,Ontario,K0A 1L0