[Ontbirds]Bradford area birds

peter Wukasch wukasch.family at sympatico.ca
Mon Apr 30 18:53:16 EDT 2007

        The Bank swallows have returned to their traditional earth embankment nest site on Artesian Industrial Parkway at the Ninth Line  to the north of Bradford. Some Rough wings were also present. How long this site will remain intact is anyone's guess, but there's quite a bit of building planned for the area. I also had Pine Warblers at Scanlon Creek Conservation Area on Sun. I was in Orangeville on Sat. and had a Solitary Sandpiper at a rain catchment pond. It was flying at one point with a Common Grackle in hot pursuit. I've also seen grackles chasing Spotted Sandpipers. Is this predatory behaviour or territorial?
         The Bank Swallow colony is north of Bradford on Hwy. 11. Turn right onto the Ninth Line and then turn right again on Artesian Industrial Parkway. The colony is on your right.
Peter Wukasch