[Ontbirds]Rose-breasted "Franken-beak" at Presqu'ile

Doug McRae rdmcrae at sympatico.ca
Wed May 9 17:24:16 EDT 2007

Greetings all,

I stopped by Bill Gilmour's house on Bayshore Rd. on the Presqu'ile
penninsula this afternoon and as we were standing talking, a Rose-
breasted Grosbeak flew in to the feeders that is all male on the
right side and all female on the left.  This condition, known as a
Gynandromorph is quite rare in birds  but has been described a few
times in Evening Grosbeaks.  The bird is a "second-year" based on the
brownish primaries, and is fairly splotchy all over.  The split sex
effect is most obvious from front-on, and looks like a male and
female were cut in half and pasted together to make a composite
frankenbeak.  It was first seen at about 230 p.m. and has made three
visits by 4:45 pm.  Both Bill and I managed to get recognizable
photos and others are waiting now, hoping it will come in further.

Cheers,

Doug McRae

Directions:  Bill lives at is at 83 Bayshore Rd., and birders are
welcome to stop by and search for the bird.  Bayshore is the "cottage
road' that runs along the north side of the peninsula, and is
accessed through Presqu'ile.