[Ontbirds]Northern goshawk north of Ottawa

Roger Bird roger_bird at earthlink.net
Wed May 9 18:46:41 EDT 2007

I was hiking in the Gatineau Hills Wednesday, May 11, and saw a mature northern goshawk. It sat in a high pine in deep bush making a great deal of noise and coming closer to me.

After about five minutes, I continued down the trail and it attacked me from behind, hitting my head with claws and a solid thump. This happened two more times, at which point I picked up two dead branches and crossed them behind and over my head. After that there were seven repeated "attacks," but no hits because of the sticks. My bug hat was torn by the claws.

Best look at a goshawk I've ever had. Roger Bird