[Ontbirds]Rondeau Bird Report - May 7 to 9, 2007

Steve LaForest stevelaforest at hotmail.com
Thu May 10 00:58:51 EDT 2007

Rondeau Bird Report – Monday May 7 to Wednesday May 9, 2007

Evening hikes along the Marsh Trail on May 7 and 8 have yielded a good
variety of crepuscular and wetland species, including American Bittern,
Sora, Virginia Rail, Whip-poor-will, Sandhill Cranes (3) and American
Woodcock  (7+).  Forster’s Terns are being reported.  There is a Bald Eagle
nest with two large young which is easily observed from the trail on our
Tuesday and Thursday hikes.  Aside from scheduled hikes, vehicular access to
the trail is blocked, but the viewing site is accessible by bicycle (or by
hiking) at other times.  A Black Tern was seen on the beach on May 8.

A total of 24 species of warblers were reported from May 7 to 9.  There have
been no additional reports of the TOWNSEND'S WARBLER photographed here on
Bennett Road on Sat. May 5.  A YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER was seen by many
observers on the first bridge / boardwalk of the Spicebush Trail on May 9 at
from 2:45 to 5:45 p.m. (I will submit a rare bird report for a local
review.)Our first Prothonotarys seem to have arrived on May 8, and a small
number of birds have been noted on Bennett Road, Gardiner Road, Spicebush
Trail and Tulip Tree Trail.  A striking photograph of the male Cerulean
present at the Pony Barns from May 3 – 7 has been posted on the OFO website.
  Other ‘good’ warblers include several Blue-winged and Northern Parulas at
various locations and a Golden-winged on South Point Trail.  A Blackpoll on
May 8 was very early.

Numbers of Veerys arrived May 7, along with the first few Swainson’s
Thrushes.  By May 8, Red-headed Woodpeckers, Baltimore Orioles and
Rose-breasted Grosbeaks had become common, with up to 5 grosbeaks coming to
the Visitor Centre feeder at once.  Orchard Orioles, Indigo Buntings and
Scarlet Tanagers apparently arrived on May 8.  There was a Lincoln’s Sparrow
on May 8.  Two Clay-colored Sparrows at the Pony Barns on May 8 were
noteworthy.  There was a significant influx of birds, including many
Chestnut-sided Warblers, as well as other warblers and thrushes, just in
advance of a weather system that brought a heavy rain on the evening of May
9.

Breeding evidence of note included a Tufted Titmouse entering a possible
nesting cavity.   A Magnolia Warbler at the Pony Barns pond carrying a leaf
or some other small object was the subject of some active speculation.
Lingering migrants included a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker and a Dark-eyed Junco
on May 7, and a Hermit Thrush on May 9.

Outside of the park, on May 8 the Blenheim Sewage Lagoons had 200 Dunlin,
100 Ruddy Ducks, as well as an American Coot, a female Canvasback, an
assortment of shorebirds, including Lesser Yellowlegs, Semipalmated and
Least Sandpipers.  Please note that visitors to the lagoons require a
permit, which may be obtained from the Blenheim post office.  The town and
lagoons are within the Rondeau Birding Area.  A Blenheim resident reported
that there are 5 Eastern Screech Owls calling regularly there in town.

I would like to express my appreciation to all of the birders who took the
time to provide information for our records.

I will lead a guided bird hike twice daily May 5 – 21 (fee $5), as follows:
Monday, Wednesday, Saturday & Sunday 7:30 am & 1 p.m.; Tuesday & Thursday
7:30 a.m. & 7 p.m.
Friday 7:30 am
All of the 7:30 am and 1 pm hikes listed above meet at the Visitor Centre.
The 7 p.m. hikes meet at the entrance to the Marsh Trail.
A second hike on Friday at 1 p.m. will meet at the Blenheim Sewage Lagoons.
The Friends of Rondeau will provide a birders’ brunch for a small donation
  (coffee, tea, bagels, soups & treats) daily from 7 – 11 a.m.
Saturday May 12 at 7 p.m. – evening presentation of spring migration at
Rondeau
  An Evening in the Forest with LaForest (contact Visitor Centre for
tickets)

Directions: from Highway 401, take exit 101 and drive South 16 km on Chatham
Kent Road 15, then turn right and follow the signs to the park.  The Bird
Sightings Book, Bird Sightings Board and other relevant information are
located at the Visitor Centre (open 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. from May 5 – 21).  To
reach the Centre from the park gate, travel 6 km South on Rondeau Road to
Gardiner Ave. and follow it around the bend to the left to the parking lot.

Steve LaForest
Friends of Rondeau Bird Guide
c/o Rondeau Visitor Centre (519) 674-1768